Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Size of Library

I had started a new library for 2013 and had just over 10,000 images in it. The library was a managed library. I had deleted several hundred images and then moved the masters to an external drive.

After the files were moved I checked the library in finder and it shows a size of 16 GB. I have a smart album looking for managed files and it is showing none, so I am confident that all of the masters are moved.

Is 16 GB a normal size for a referenced library? Are the previews using this much space on the drive? I have the preference for previews at 2560 x 2560.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 9:00 PM

Omni DiskSweeper (free) will show you the storage requirements for each of the Finder folders in your Aperture Library file package. I think that will allow you to answer your question based on your data.

It's a sweet little utility. And in use should be straightforward. If it's not, post back.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- clarity.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2013 9:00 PM in response to Michigan One Fly

Omni DiskSweeper (free) will show you the storage requirements for each of the Finder folders in your Aperture Library file package. I think that will allow you to answer your question based on your data.

It's a sweet little utility. And in use should be straightforward. If it's not, post back.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- clarity.

Jun 28, 2013 10:19 PM in response to Michigan One Fly

Is 16 GB a normal size for a referenced library? Are the previews using this much space on the drive? I have the preference for previews at 2560 x 2560.

A quick calculation: 😝

Your previews will have roughly 5 megapixes with these settings (2560 x 2560 x 3/4), and depending on the complexity of your images (the amount of detail) the size of the jpegs should vary between 1 and 2 MB.

So with 20000 images in your library, your high quality previews will need ~15 GB, also your library may contain an iPod Photo Cache, if you are syncing with iTunes, plus thumbnails.

Léonie

Size of Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.