Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MagSafe chargers are faulty...

I had my Mac since '09, and I loved it. But, my experience with my Mac had two weakness: Battery and Power. I HATE the way I charged my Mac. Adaptors wear out and are unusable by a short time, one time I had to service the battery. I would really prefer charging with MagSafe 2, or the barrel-style charger. After 4 years with my Mac, it went out of warranty, and I noticed to myself: “One broken thing comes up again, time to pay the thousands...” I bought a new MagSafe due to the old one becoming overheated. And, once again, the new MagSafe broke down by the same exact problem. AND I AM OUT OF WARRANTY! Making me totally screwed... If you have ANY solution (Like I have to pay a new MagSafe, pay AppleCare, or buy a new Mac. But I DO NOT want to pay an entire fortune (But here in Apple, everything's a fortune), and money makes me more screwed.) This might be a sad bye-bye to my life with a Mac, or install a new power supply, or pay the piper... Help me out, I would be really glad.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Bought in '09. Old condition.

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 9:53 PM

8 replies

Jun 29, 2013 4:34 AM in response to Pikachu4170

Hi Pikachu4170,

I had that same problem. I thought it was the battery at first. But then I bought a new charger. My mac fully charges and works great. I don't know what you do. But I just surf the web and check my emails and I get a days worth of battery. Try lowering down the brightness on the computer or do a lower time on when your computer goes to sleep. I know, 80 dollars is alot for a charger so try looking for one like on ebay or best buy. REMEMBER! Buy the Magsafe 1 not 2 it will not support your macbook. Like I said had the same problem and buying this new charger fixed it.

Hopes this helps

Mar 16, 2014 5:38 AM in response to Pikachu4170

I don't believe that MagSafe is any sort of "faultily designed product". I have been using my own MagSafe charger for the past four years without problem. Tell me, what sort of MagSafe model do you have? Is it the aluminum and round one or the plastic and square one?

I think Mike Sombrio is onto something and you should certainly entertain the idea of an electrical problem in your home.

MagSafe chargers are faulty...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.