Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't download "aditional components" from recovery. Internet too slow. What do I do now?

Hello,

I am overseas for a month and I had to erase my hard drive and do a fresh install of OSX Lion.

I erased my drive and all went fine. Now I am trying to reinstall the OS from the COMMAND+R menu. The problem is my internet connection here is too slow for the "aditional components" and it ends of hanging on 9 hours or something and then just says it failed to download the aditional components. I now it isn't a hardware issue because I have done this before while I was in the states with a fast conection and it worked both times I have reinstalled the OS.

I was wondering how large is the "aditional components"?

What is the point of the Recovery HD if I need to download the recovery from the internet anyway?

Who was the genius that made the decision to eliminate the install CDS? Espceically when were overpaying for these machines. And what made this genius assume that every one has access to fast internet speeds?

Thank you,

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 11:28 PM

4 replies

Jun 29, 2013 1:02 AM in response to Hraga

And what made this genius assume that every one has access to fast internet speeds?

Requirements for reinstalling OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion

Reinstalling OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion via OS X Recovery requires broadband access to the Internet via Wi-Fi or an Ethernet connection. OS X is downloaded over the Internet from Apple when OS X Recovery is used for reinstallation.

From here > OS X: About OS X Recovery

Jun 30, 2013 12:56 PM in response to Hraga

If your connection isn't solid enough, then get a more reliable one. The additional components usually only take a couple of minutes to DL. The 4.5+ GB OS install app takes a long time, depending on connection speed. 30-40 minutes on my 20 Mbps connection. As for Apple's decision, it was a stupid one, but that's just my

User uploaded file

Can't download "aditional components" from recovery. Internet too slow. What do I do now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.