Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No metadata in Photo Stream shared libraries

After uploading images to a Photo Stream shared library, I noticed they do not inclue the IPTC caption, keywords and other metadata, making the process virtually useless. All images are referenced files in Aperture 3.4.5, under Mac OS 10.8.4, with "write metadata to masters" applied. How can you include metadata in Photo Stream shared libraries?

Thanks!

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 8:09 AM

19 replies

Jun 29, 2013 9:17 AM in response to MacFanInSF

Photo Stream shared library

What do you mean by shared library in this context?

Are you sharing photos using the photo stream between two libraries on different macs?

This works very well for me. When I add an image version to the stream, that has added IPTC tags, all tags will upload to the stream and are visible in the other library, that downloads from the stream.

Only, you will have to add the edited image version to the stream, after the tags have been added - the automatic upload to the stream will upload the image the moment it is imported, before the tags have been added. And Aperture will not sync later edits and adjustment to the Photo Stream. To share the image versions with added captions, rating, adjustment, add them to the Photo Stream, when you are done with editing.

Regards

Léonie

Jun 29, 2013 9:52 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for your response, Léonie! All images uploaded to shared libraries (invited friends) have captions, keywords, copyright info, GPS (longitude/latitude) and other metadata associated with them, with the "Write IPTC Metedata to Original…" applied before uploading to the shared library. Once all images have sucessfully uploaded to photo stream their associated albums, only the GPS location fields are populated. For some reason, all other IPTC metadata has been stripped away from the image(s) in my photo stream when I view my "Default" IPTC data in the "Info" inspector, and there is no option to include (or not) the metedata when creating photo stream albums. My standard IPTC metedata is also absent after choosing the "Export > Version…" command, and opening the file in the Preview app.

Machs gut!

Eric

Jun 29, 2013 10:39 AM in response to MacFanInSF

Eric,

Now I see - you are asking about "Shared Photo Stream" - I was confused by shared "libraries".

With the "Shared PhotoStream" the only data I am receiving from friends are the EXIF tags - GPS, lens, aperture, etc, none of the IPTC.

When I want to send annotations, I add a comment by pressing the call out badge.

User uploaded file

My standard IPTC metedata is also absent after choosing the "Export > Version…" command, and opening the file in the Preview app.

Do you mean, when you are exporting an image from the Photo Straem, or any image? With File > Export > Versions and exporting an image from the library with IPTC as a jpeg, these tags will all show in Previews Inspector.

Grüße

Léonie

Jun 29, 2013 11:00 AM in response to léonie

Sorry…I meant the metadata is absent when exporting images from the Photo Stream. The ability to not include metedata, especially after writing it to the original file, is a mystery. I'm aware I can add a comment to my images in the photo stream (thank you for the screen shot!), but find it odd one is forced to duplicate information already associated with an image. Makes the whole point of sharing images useless for my circumstances.

Thanks, again, for your comments!

Grüße aus San Francisco! Tschüß!

Eric

Jun 29, 2013 11:07 AM in response to MacFanInSF

Makes the whole point of sharing images useless for my circumstances.

Yes, it is not very helpful on a mac. iCloud supports more the limited functionality of iPhoto on IOS devices. On the iPad and iPhone you would not notice it, since these small devices do not understand the IPTC tags anyway. I am hoping that we will soon see improved features 😀 wait and see.

Grüße in die City!

Léonie

Jun 29, 2013 11:21 AM in response to léonie

For my needs, iCloud has proven virtually useless compared to MobileMe. I had absolutely no issues with that service, was able to create beautiful websites via iWeb, and share images that included all the IPTC data I spent considerable time adding to them. All that is gone, as we wait for "improved features" that already existed in the past.

Sad in SF,

Eric

Dec 10, 2013 2:38 PM in response to AudreyHTX1

How to share a slideshow and not have at least titles when it was already embedded in the photo metadata? Aaaarrrrgh!

I annotate my photos in the stream by adding comments to the photos I am sharing. But this needs to be done manually. And better do it before inviting people to your stream. Every time you add a comment to a photo, all friends you invited to the stream will receive an alert and you might annoy them by adding hundreds of comments.

So first share your photos, annotate them by commenting on them, and only then invite your friends to view the stream.

Dec 10, 2013 2:56 PM in response to léonie

I'm not willing to re-enter that information by copying and pasting data that was already there. I now know that is an option, but very annoying when the information was already in the metadata and already visible in Aperture.

Maybe one day Apple will create a "real" photo sharing iCloud service that properly integrates with their photo editing applications like Aperture and iPhoto.

Thanks anyway 🙂

Dec 10, 2013 3:23 PM in response to AudreyHTX1

The photos that I am receiving in the shared Photo streams have two metadata tags that will be preserved - the filename will show up as the version name, when downloaded from the stream, and the copyright notice field will be preserved.

So your only way to create captions automatically would be to use the version names as caption field, export the versions with the version name as filename, reimport and upload the the images with the changed filenames to the photo stream.

Let's hope that Apple will make photo sharing more versatile some day soon.

Feb 15, 2014 4:00 AM in response to MacFanInSF

Just posting to echo your frustration regarding this irritating behaviour on Shared Streams. The data's there (and often painstakingly entered!), so why not allow us to include it?! Although I'd ideally like to preserve all metadata when sharing, I'm actually most interested in my Aperture captions being included as a caption (or as the first 'comment') for each individual photo, so that people know what they're looking at.

What makes it more infuriating is that with Aperture 3.5 the release the notes say "Captions instead of version names are now synced between Aperture and Facebook for newly-created albums". So Apple have enabled this for sharing to Facebook, but not on their own sharing platorm!

I really hope they add this soon, I would be much more inclined to use Shared Streams, I prefer to steer clear of Facebook.

Mar 25, 2014 10:19 PM in response to MacFanInSF

I want to add I'm extremely frustrated by this as well.

Photostream would be perfect if it just included two things...

Keywords and location data, and the ability to organize into sub-folders.

And remember that great map with all the pushpins of where you took photos? It shouldn't be so hard to find now, and it should still work with photostream photos!

Just venting. I've spent too many hours looking for another app to try to accomplish the same thing as photostream, but with the metadata, map and organizational features it's lacking. And from what I can tell, there's no good reason that stuff is missing to begin with.

No metadata in Photo Stream shared libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.