Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store cannot verify a secure connection with the App Store.

anbody a solution for this message

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 11:13 AM

Take each of the following steps that you haven't already tried until the issue is resolved. Back up all data before making any changes.

Step 1

Check the status of the Mac App Store. If the store is down, wait tor it to come back up. There may be a localized outage, even if the status indicator is green.

Step 2

Check that the date (including the year) and time shown by your system clock are correct.

Step 3

Restart your router and broadband device, if different.

Step 4

If you connect to the Internet through an HTTPS or SOCKS proxy server, follow the instructions in this support article, or deselect the proxy entirely.

Step 5

Boot in safe mode and try again.

Step 6

Make sure Parental Controls aren't active for your account.

Step 7

Follow the instructions in this support article to change your DNS settings.

Step 8

If possible, test on a different network, such as a public Wi-Fi hotspot or the cellular network of your phone.

Step 9

Launch the Keychain Access application. In the Keychains list, there should be an item named System. If not, select

File Add Keychain

from the menu bar and add the following item:

/Library/Keychains/System.keychain

From the Category list in the lower left corner of the window, select Certificates. Look carefully at the list of certificates in the right side of the window. If any of them has a a blue-and-white plus sign or a red "X" in the icon, double-click it. An inspection window will open. Click the disclosure triangle labeled Trust to disclose the trust settings for the certificate. From the menu at the top, select

When using this certificate: Use System Defaults

Close the inspection window. You'll be prompted for your administrator password to update the settings. Revert all the certificates with non-default trust settings.

From the menu bar, select

Keychain Access Preferences Certificates

There are three menus in the window. Change the selection in the top two to Best attempt, and in the bottom one to CRL.

Next, select the login keychain. Delete any expired or otherwise invalid certificates.

Log out, log back in, and test.

Step 10

Launch the Activity Monitor application. Select All Processes from the menu in the toolbar of the Activity Monitor window, if not already selected. Enter "ocspd" (without the quotes) in the "Filter" text field. Is a process with that name listed?

If not, back up all data, then select

Go Go to Folder

from the Finder menu bar. Into the text box that opens, copy the following line of text:

/var/db/crls

From the folder that opens, move these two files to the Trash:

• crlcache.db
  • ocspcache.db

You’ll be prompted for your administrator password. Reboot, empty the Trash, and test.

Step 11

If you've moved to a different country, select

Store View My Account

from the App Store menu bar, then click

Change Country or Region

and update your billing information.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2013 11:13 AM in response to fj23

Take each of the following steps that you haven't already tried until the issue is resolved. Back up all data before making any changes.

Step 1

Check the status of the Mac App Store. If the store is down, wait tor it to come back up. There may be a localized outage, even if the status indicator is green.

Step 2

Check that the date (including the year) and time shown by your system clock are correct.

Step 3

Restart your router and broadband device, if different.

Step 4

If you connect to the Internet through an HTTPS or SOCKS proxy server, follow the instructions in this support article, or deselect the proxy entirely.

Step 5

Boot in safe mode and try again.

Step 6

Make sure Parental Controls aren't active for your account.

Step 7

Follow the instructions in this support article to change your DNS settings.

Step 8

If possible, test on a different network, such as a public Wi-Fi hotspot or the cellular network of your phone.

Step 9

Launch the Keychain Access application. In the Keychains list, there should be an item named System. If not, select

File Add Keychain

from the menu bar and add the following item:

/Library/Keychains/System.keychain

From the Category list in the lower left corner of the window, select Certificates. Look carefully at the list of certificates in the right side of the window. If any of them has a a blue-and-white plus sign or a red "X" in the icon, double-click it. An inspection window will open. Click the disclosure triangle labeled Trust to disclose the trust settings for the certificate. From the menu at the top, select

When using this certificate: Use System Defaults

Close the inspection window. You'll be prompted for your administrator password to update the settings. Revert all the certificates with non-default trust settings.

From the menu bar, select

Keychain Access Preferences Certificates

There are three menus in the window. Change the selection in the top two to Best attempt, and in the bottom one to CRL.

Next, select the login keychain. Delete any expired or otherwise invalid certificates.

Log out, log back in, and test.

Step 10

Launch the Activity Monitor application. Select All Processes from the menu in the toolbar of the Activity Monitor window, if not already selected. Enter "ocspd" (without the quotes) in the "Filter" text field. Is a process with that name listed?

If not, back up all data, then select

Go Go to Folder

from the Finder menu bar. Into the text box that opens, copy the following line of text:

/var/db/crls

From the folder that opens, move these two files to the Trash:

• crlcache.db
  • ocspcache.db

You’ll be prompted for your administrator password. Reboot, empty the Trash, and test.

Step 11

If you've moved to a different country, select

Store View My Account

from the App Store menu bar, then click

Change Country or Region

and update your billing information.

Jul 30, 2013 6:24 AM in response to fj23

I had this same issue and it turned out to be a poor and in consistent internet connection (generally slow and intermittently unresponsive). After a week of receiving this error I went to a free wifi joint and it worked fine. I called for service from my ISP and after the replace my cable modem all was well.

Feb 15, 2014 2:24 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for that info - very comprehensive.

Unfortunately for me, i have worked through the checklist and nothing has changed. I have no proxies, no parental controls, the app store won't load in a new user account, no certificates set to anything other than system defaults, time is correct, etc, etc ... very frustrating.

Do you have any further thoughts? I would appreciate anyones further suggestions.

I use a mac air running 10.8.5. I do have access to iTunes, but the app store pauses and returns the message "App Store cannot verify a secure connection with the App Store.". all other internet features work correctly.

Thanks for anyones thoughts.

App Store cannot verify a secure connection with the App Store.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.