Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall 10.7.5 ?

A friend gave me his old MacBook Pro3.1, 17" Screen, 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, built August 2007, running 10.7.5. He did not give me any OS X disks or USB. He did not install many parts of the OS, eg. all languages, printer drivers, etc. I need 3 languages plus English and several printer drivers.

I would like to buy a copy of 10.7 and reinstall over my current operating system, installing the full system. I would then upgrade to 10.7.5

My questions is: Is this possible? Will I screw up the operating system? Can I overwrite the existing system and be ok?

I have all data backed up on BackBlaze and on USB.

Please advise.

Canoe112

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 9:42 AM

You won't screw up Lion. You will only reinstall Mac OS X without losing anything.

I recommend you to get the Lion USB drive, that you can get at Amazon or eBay, like this disk > http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lion-10-7-Thumb-Drive/dp/B0089FELB2

This drive contains the full Lion installer, so you won't have to download it again. I recommend you to purchase Lion on a USB drive because you may have problems downloading Lion from the Mac App Store.

To reinstall Lion, plug your USB drive, hold the Option (Alt) key while your MacBook is starting and choose your drive. Then, reinstall Lion

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2013 9:42 AM in response to Canoe112

You won't screw up Lion. You will only reinstall Mac OS X without losing anything.

I recommend you to get the Lion USB drive, that you can get at Amazon or eBay, like this disk > http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lion-10-7-Thumb-Drive/dp/B0089FELB2

This drive contains the full Lion installer, so you won't have to download it again. I recommend you to purchase Lion on a USB drive because you may have problems downloading Lion from the Mac App Store.

To reinstall Lion, plug your USB drive, hold the Option (Alt) key while your MacBook is starting and choose your drive. Then, reinstall Lion

Reinstall 10.7.5 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.