You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is auto correct disabled with bluetooth keyboard with Ipad?

Why is auto correct disabled with bluetooth keyboard with Ipad? I use my Ipad for work and a keyboard really helps. I'm however constantly delayed by the fact that auto correct does not work when using a bluetooth keyboard. Is there a reason or fix for this please?

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 9:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2014 9:42 AM

I had this problem with my bluetooth keyboard as well. However, I found that if I opened the iPad's touch keyboard (using a button on my attached keyboard) and then closed it again, the autocorrect would start working while using the attached one. I have no idea why, but it worked. (I have a ZAGG keyboard for iPad Mini)

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 18, 2014 9:42 AM in response to kambo

I had this problem with my bluetooth keyboard as well. However, I found that if I opened the iPad's touch keyboard (using a button on my attached keyboard) and then closed it again, the autocorrect would start working while using the attached one. I have no idea why, but it worked. (I have a ZAGG keyboard for iPad Mini)

Dec 23, 2013 4:52 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Yeah, this is actually inconsistent. Auto correct has worked on MacOS X since at least 10.8 or possibly 10.7. Auto correct in Mavericks works nearly indentically to auto correct in iOS7. It's quite bothersome when you've become accustomed to auto correct always working to suddenly have it gone in just one use case.

I'd be happy with a toggle switch to turn it on and off.

Oct 13, 2014 2:00 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

first, let me say that i appreciate the consistency in the forums where the first answer is a defense of the behavior being quesrined and the general implication that Apple desgned it that way snd maybe we would be better off not questioning apple's decisions.

that said, i am typing this on a bluetooth keyboard and ss you can see, it is not a pleasant wx periene.

the ssme experiene

Oct 13, 2014 2:07 PM in response to tsteele93

wow, that got bad. i am on ipad air and find that editingsometimesm keeps me from being abke to enter new text.

Anyway, my point is that my android devices .andle this with aplomb. why does a,ple, who until very receetly wouldnt even let devs poke around with the keyboard, handle this so poorly?

im not even getting capitalization or punctuation and even though i have it turned on, dokle space does not result in a period.

Is this RELLY how it is supposed to work or is something (hopefully) broken?

Jun 29, 2013 5:51 PM in response to kambo

Auto-correct is designd to assist with typing on the flat glass keyboard. It doesn't work with a BT keyboard. No Apple device I've used has auto-correct with a physical keyboard so this is a consistent design decision on Apple's part.

Submit your feedback directly to Apple requesting this feature using the appropriate link on the Feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Feb 8, 2014 11:26 AM in response to teighmacintosh

I tried your trick of opening the touch keyboard and closing again but it didn't work for me (Logitech UltraThin). Just to confirm that predictive typing does work in OSX Mavericks with a BT keyboard - I tried it in Pages and TexEdit and it worked fine. But then OSX has never had an on-screen keyboard, and isn't designed to work with one.

I still find the prediction in SwiftKey far better though. And SK 'learns' your style, commonly used words etc. Not sure if the Apple predictor does. It's just a bit clunky to have to type in SK and then copy and paste into Mail, Pages or whatever.

Why is auto correct disabled with bluetooth keyboard with Ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.