Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transposing data

Guys, I have searched many posts about transposing. I have read the apple manual relating to transposing. I didn't understand any of the formula they used in their examples. So please would anyone just show me how to do this step by step. Really appreciate it. 😝

User uploaded file to this User uploaded file

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 10:05 AM

2 replies

Jun 29, 2013 12:37 PM in response to s1155

s,

What part didn't you understand? Maybe we can work through it.

Your best bet is to plan ahead and try to not have to transpose. On those occasions when your data arrives needing transposition, you can use the TRANSPOSE and INDEX functions or the OFFSET function to move it about. Neither works if your equations are in the wrong place - it just works for data.

Jerry

Jun 30, 2013 5:34 AM in response to s1155

s,

transposing is simply reversing the row() and column() position a cell.

You actually showed a transposition in your post (which I guess you manually typed).

User uploaded file

Here is a way to transpose data in a vertical column in a horizontal row:

The vertical data is on the left in a table titled "Table 2". In the table on the right:

A1=OFFSET(Table 2 :: $A$1, COLUMN()-1, ROW()-1)

this notation means in cell A1 enter the formula "=OFFSET(Table 2 :: $A$1, COLUMN()-1, ROW()-1)" without the double quotes.

now select cell A1 and fill to the right as needed by selecitng the menu item "Edit > Copy", now click the row reference tab "1" and paste using the menu item "Edit > Paste". You can also fill by selecting cell A1, then grab (click and hold) the little circle at the bottom right of the selected cell and drag to the right as needed

Transposing data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.