Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus

How can I check if I been infected by a virus, my screen fades in and out from time to time?

MacBook, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 12:38 PM

There are no extant viruses affecting OS X at this time. Perhaps your problem is with the hardware.

Helpful Links Regarding Malware Protection

An excellent link to read is Tom Reed's Mac Malware Guide.

Also, visit The XLab FAQs and read Detecting and avoiding malware and spyware.

See these Apple articles:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard and malware detection

OS X Lion- Protect your Mac from malware

OS X Mountain Lion- Protect your Mac from malware

About file quarantine in OS X

If you require anti-virus protection I recommend using ClamXav.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2013 12:38 PM in response to Ces@r

There are no extant viruses affecting OS X at this time. Perhaps your problem is with the hardware.

Helpful Links Regarding Malware Protection

An excellent link to read is Tom Reed's Mac Malware Guide.

Also, visit The XLab FAQs and read Detecting and avoiding malware and spyware.

See these Apple articles:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard and malware detection

OS X Lion- Protect your Mac from malware

OS X Mountain Lion- Protect your Mac from malware

About file quarantine in OS X

If you require anti-virus protection I recommend using ClamXav.

Jun 29, 2013 3:01 PM in response to Ces@r

There are no viruses, but there is malware. Anyway, I don't think that's your problem. The screen "fades," it doesn't just go black? The latter would indicate display sleep is cutting in.

If it's 'fading," in and out that sounds like a hardware problem then, you should have that checked out.

Jun 29, 2013 6:48 PM in response to Ces@r

When you say that it's fading in and out, do you mean that it's getting brighter and darker at seemingly random intervals, you're probably seeing automatic brightness adjustment. Your machine can sense the light level in the room, and will adjust the screen brightness to be most appropriate for the current lighting conditions. If you don't like that (I don't, personally, but see how some might), go to System Preferences -> Displays and uncheck the box for "Automatically adjust brightness." (Note that I don't recall whether the name and location of this box was different in Snow Leopard as it is in Mountain Lion... if you don't see it where I described, look around in similar places for a similarly named box.)

Jul 2, 2013 8:26 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks I check the settings in my computer and made some changes. So far it seems it has worked. The strange thing is these settings have been there since I got the computer and only now is acting up 5 years later (no bad if I compare with a pc. (I spend some much time always fighting with settings, malware and virus in the pc).

Feb 21, 2015 12:08 AM in response to Ces@r

I have a virus on my iPad. I downloaded 2 apps yesterday from istore. I can't remember what they were since I Immediately deleted them when the problem occurred. One was a cut and paste photo editor, the other was a YouTube video manager. Now Google and Safari are being redirected to **** sites constantly.My iPad has never been jail broken and I would hate to have to reset it to factory settings and lose all my work. I have done a general reset from the setting menu and turned the iPad off and on again, this did not work. It's so bad I can only post this, by having the words ready to paste in the few seconds before safari redirects to the **** sites. Running IOS 8.1.3 Can someone please help urgently

Feb 21, 2015 4:59 AM in response to lynnesears

lynnesears wrote:

I have a virus on my iPad.

This is a very old topic and not in any way related to iPads. You do not have a virus on your iPad.

You may have hacked network hardware. See:

http://www.adwaremedic.com/kb/hackedrouter.php

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

If that doesn't help, you will need to start your own discussion on the iPad forum.

Feb 27, 2015 11:41 PM in response to thomas_r.

thanks Thomas for helping with my problem of malware sites opening up in Safari and Google app on my iPad. You were spot on, the fault was with the router. My network had been hacked. The iPad worked as normal when I went on a friends wifi. I had to get my internet provider to deal with it. So it seems it is true that apple products don't get virus. Great!

Virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.