Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Showing As Read Only?

I recently ejected my time machine hard drive as I needed to use the plug it is connected to in the wall socket.

Now I've reconnected it, it is showing as "read only" and is unable to back up?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 1:30 PM

11 replies

Apr 23, 2014 1:24 AM in response to WillRN

Hello

i have macbook pro 10.9.2

i plugged my WD passport in to time machine it for the month

mac doesnt regnize it - but disk utility did

i went in activity monitor and quit the process "fsck_hfs" - this allowed eventually the pasport to show in finder -only with read only

i dont know what to do - i cant seem to copy the whole file (containing all back ups) to computer before erasing everything - as not enough room on computer - also tried carbon copy clone but says not enough room also

if i simplu erase the passport on disk utility -(and loose all previous backups) will it go back to working again simply with timecapsule? or does it need reformatting? what format should it be in for time capsule?

regards eva

Time Machine Showing As Read Only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.