Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 issues with 2013 Honda Civic (LX)

So I have these two top-of-the-line pieces of technology and they don't even work with each other without causing pain-in-the-butt glitches. There seems to be a plenty amount of articles involving the iPhone 5 and new cars, but hopefully with some detailed descriptions of my issues, I can provide some clues in on the source of the problems, and hopefully receive a fix.
These issues are some of the personal issues I've observed and are described in order of their time of their appearances.

• When already plugged in, music may play through the connecter dock but then stop shortly after the car ignition (around 10-20 seconds). Two options I've found are to either exit and re-enter the USB auxillary - which doesn't always work-, or to simply switch to Bluetooth, which provides inferior sound quality along with extra battery drain.
    Symptoms include viewing the song "playing" on the i-MID, progressing in its time, but not producing any sound.
  • Siri can not be effectively used through Bluetooth.
  • Songs get derailed and the display information gets matched with audio from the previous or following song. Audio with lengths shorter than the length of the displayed song will finish and the next audio track does not seem to start until the displayed timer is finished.
  • <This is what caused me to finally make a thread about these issues, and the issue I deem most important> Phone starts and appears to call itself with the Bluetooth. The i-MID displays a phone call that is automatically connected, with the information as "My Number - <my actual cell number>." The phone then "plays through itself," which sounds like a normal Bluetooth phone call within the car, and effectively locks the i-MID screen from any other input command. It is often very hard to quit the call or sometimes impossible. Repeated inputs to the "end call" button on the steering wheel yield limited to no response, and sometimes, when it does get terminated, it automatically returns to connect the call restarting the cycle. These things happened as I was driving and were very annoying, distracting, and potentially life-threatening.
  • The voice prompts on Google Maps may forcibly stop the audio stream through the USB dock. I only observed this once so I can't really provide much other than that it happened.

I frequently make deliveries so the smooth integration between these two technologies is very important to me. Being able to use a GPS on the iPhone and have it stream directions along with iPod music when driving was obviously something that your two companies have collaborated on making possible, and it is incredibly frustrating, stupid even, when the two latest piece of technology you two offer don't even work correctly with each other, I've read from another post that Honda does not plan to offer any fixes (not like they really can), so the load seems to fall off to you Apple. Please, don't let this be an issue to sweep under the rug. With the new and increasing technological accomodations allowed in newer vehicles, seamless integration is imperative.

For now, I will faithfully await a fix for this issue.

Thank you.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4, 2013 Honda Civic Sedan LX

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 2:49 PM

19 replies

Jun 29, 2013 3:21 PM in response to DaEliminator

It might help your situation a bit to know whom you are addressing. The readers here are Apple device users. That includes novices, fanbois and persons with advanced training/expertise. Apple employees are forbidden from participation, unless they carry a specific job descriptoion to moderate this forum.

All that being said, help is here, just ask nicely.

Jul 31, 2013 10:56 AM in response to DaEliminator

I have both an iPhone 5 and Honda Civic LX 2013, and I just wanted to say I am on the same boat as you. I have experienced all 5 bullets you've mentioned in the original post. The reason bullet #1 happens is because your car was already set on "USB AUX" mode upon turn on and then the car detects the iPhone via bluetooth. Upon detection, the car then toggles the playback to 'handsfree' on your iPhone (playing thru bluetooth), but the car input is still on USB. One workaround that worked for me is to unplug and plug the iphone from the connector. This is something that can be done 'blindly' while driving, and should switch your phone back to 'dock connector' mode and play through your speakers.

Sep 11, 2013 3:15 PM in response to DaEliminator

I also have Honda Civic 2013 but, I did not come across any of the issues you mentioned. The only thing I do is, I turn off the Audio system before turning my car off. Then before starting my car I will connect my phone with the USB dock connector and then start my car wait for the Bluetooth to connect and then turn ON the Audio system.

It seems too many steps but takes few seconds to do it. Just try it and see if it solves your problem.

Thanks

Apr 23, 2014 9:42 AM in response to DaEliminator

It's a band-aid, but I found that - once the car/iphone bluetooth links up and I loose sound from the phone - I toggle the steeringwheel call button and then hang up, the phone and car find themselves again and the music resumes.

I wish I had a fix for all the other issues. I have those too!

One that wasn't mentioned is that if I switch to the phone as the sound source instead of the car speakers during a call when the iphone is still hooked in through USB, I get a USB error that can't be resolved until the car is turned off and on again. :-(

Jun 27, 2014 11:06 AM in response to DaEliminator

I have the 2014 Civic EX and notice that some of the issues you mentioned are fixed. I always have my phone's bluetooth on and I've never had any issues with it. The only "issue" I can really think of is the fact that at times...the playlist will reset upon the car's start up. This may be due to the fact that I have the feature on the phone to shuffle the playlist upon shaking it but I'm not sure.

The second thing is that the contact information on text messages still doesn't show up properly on the touch screen. Thankfully I can figure out who it is via the conversation I'm having but it's still an inconvenience. I'm at iOS 7.1.1 and they still have no solution for this.

I haven't tried using Siri via bluetooth yet but it's something to try...hopefully they have this part figured out.

Jul 3, 2014 8:45 AM in response to DaEliminator

I have the same issue but with my iPhone 4S. I have to switch my bluetooth off if I am connecting via the dock connector. that appears to fix the problems but then don't have the call handling capabilities.

I also have the problem with using Google maps navigation as the music volume is high and the google maps volume is very low.. i simply wish there were separate volume controls than the integrated version so that we can control the volumes of each application manually.

Jul 5, 2014 9:14 AM in response to DaEliminator

Hey guys, it's been about a year now. I've recently went to get my car patched with the newest software but these glitches are still happening so it may be something that has to be manually configured within the car's settings at the dealership (at least that was how it sounded to me).

So I sorta noticed what iloveyoualways was describing earlier and that is, for the HandsLinkFree to be working properly through Bluetooth, the music must be playing before you activate any navigation or else you can reliably expect the call to yourself show up. Thankfully, I have discovered an equally reliable workaround to that and that is to swipe up from the bottom to pull up the Control Center and wait for the music to start streaming before swiping out of it. It seems that the Control Center will pause any app activity (even if it's supposed to have background refresh) which is exactly what you need do to get the condition of [music streaming before navi]. Alternatively, you can just cancel your navigation and restart it, but I find the swipe method a bit cleaner. With the Control Center, you can also have access to where the audio out is going, which can effectively fix some of the playback issues with USB as well.

I also notice that Waze have slightly different symptoms of these glitches, but I haven't been using it enough to determine whether or not it can be fixed using the same method.

Anyways, enjoy this workaround!

--

iOS 7.1.2 and Google Maps 3.1.2.24421

iPhone 5 issues with 2013 Honda Civic (LX)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.