Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV send to Airport Express Speakers?

I have 1st generation Apple TV with speakers hooked directly. I'm also trying to stream to remote Airport Express

speakers at same time. The music I want to play is from iPod or ipad via AirTunes.

I cannot seem to stream to the airport express as its not showing up. Is this because 1st generation doesn't support?

Apple TV

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 3:29 PM

8 replies

Jun 29, 2013 3:41 PM in response to Macdermant

I can stream music from iOS to Apple TV but was under the impression that Apple TV can push to other "speakers" (Airport express as an example). Is that not true?

Even so I cannot get the airport express to show in speaker section on my Apple TV.

They both show on my iOS as options to stream to.

Would be great if I could just choose 2!

Any suggestions on tying the two sets of speakers together?

Jun 30, 2013 2:34 AM in response to Macdermant

It may depend which Airport Express you have.

I'm fairly certain I used to be able to send to my old b/g Airport Express from AppleTV1 but may be wrong as I've not tried recently.

The old Express and AppleTV 1 used Airtunes protocol and I had assumed that Airplay was a superset of that and that Airtunes like functionality would still work over Airplay for audio. Video Airplay does not work with AppleTV 1 as far as I'm aware unless there's be a recent iOS change that somehow allows it on old AppleTV software.

A new or recent Airport Express probably uses the newer Airplay protocol for audio and may not be detected by the original AppleTV. I don't have one to test (new Express).

Apple have mucked up somewhere along the line with retaining backwards compatibility for some of the newer devices with older peripherals. My b/g Express isn't even detected by Airport Utility on OS X these days - I've had to install an old version of Airport Utility to use it.

AC

Apple TV send to Airport Express Speakers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.