Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running Plex through iPad then Apple TV

I've been slowly mapping out on how I am going to execute my plan of a Mac Mini Media Server but hit a snag on how I'm going to transfer content to my TV. The Mac Mini will be connected to my Network on my main router but not directly to the TV. I intend on using Plex to stream media across different devices. Then it hit me, what if I use Plex to stream to my iPad then use AirPlay to stream it to my TV. Will this work? Has anyone done this? I know there's a Roku box with the Plex plug-in and a workaround for the AppleTV to work with Plex but I wanna skip those for now.

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 3:02 PM

That would depend on whether plex has placed any AirPlay restrictions on it's app. If there are none, you may find that AirPlay works but maybe intermittently because doing things that way places an unnecessary load on the network.

Is there any particular reason you don't want to do things the way it's designed to work, with homesharing direct from your mini's iTunes library.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2013 3:02 PM in response to ljcool

That would depend on whether plex has placed any AirPlay restrictions on it's app. If there are none, you may find that AirPlay works but maybe intermittently because doing things that way places an unnecessary load on the network.

Is there any particular reason you don't want to do things the way it's designed to work, with homesharing direct from your mini's iTunes library.

Running Plex through iPad then Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.