Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN Authentication failed

I have vpn set up at vpn.whitefamilyserver.com, and a user made for services only. I log in both with PPTP and L2TP. On L2TP it fails to connect unless I'm on the wifi of the VPN, and on PPTP it either gets disconnected, but most of the time it says Authentication failed, even though I'm 100% sure both the username and password is correct.

How can I get the authentication to work? Or L2TP over the internet?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 3:18 PM

For VPN, FTP and everything else, when you connect within the LAN/ Intranet of the server, ANYTHING works for the "server" field, from whitefamilyserver.com to vpn.whitefamilyserver.com to applesandpotatoes.whitefamilyserver.com.

For outside the LAN, you need to simply use whitefamilyserver.com. If you really want vpn.whitefamilyserver.com to work, you must add "vpn" as a C Name record for your domain's (whitefamilyserver.com) DNS settings (usually from Godaddy or eNom's website). That will bring the address "vpn.whitefamilyserver.com" into actual existence. But again, you can just use whitefamilyserver.com.

Keep in mind that PPTP only works locally unless you have Open Directory set up to manage and authenticate users outside the LAN/ Intranet of your home.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2013 3:18 PM in response to cclloyd

For VPN, FTP and everything else, when you connect within the LAN/ Intranet of the server, ANYTHING works for the "server" field, from whitefamilyserver.com to vpn.whitefamilyserver.com to applesandpotatoes.whitefamilyserver.com.

For outside the LAN, you need to simply use whitefamilyserver.com. If you really want vpn.whitefamilyserver.com to work, you must add "vpn" as a C Name record for your domain's (whitefamilyserver.com) DNS settings (usually from Godaddy or eNom's website). That will bring the address "vpn.whitefamilyserver.com" into actual existence. But again, you can just use whitefamilyserver.com.

Keep in mind that PPTP only works locally unless you have Open Directory set up to manage and authenticate users outside the LAN/ Intranet of your home.

Jun 29, 2013 3:51 PM in response to jaygatsby1123

I turned on open directory and there is 'whitefamilyserver.com (master)'. I also changed the VPN to just whitefamilyserver.com.

I also has all subdomains (network solutions) forwarded to my IP, so it doesn't matter what I put before the actual URL. But I did specify a few subdomains, including vpn.*.

But it still fails to authenticate, and L2TP fails to connect.

Jun 29, 2013 5:20 PM in response to cclloyd

So I guess 10.9 has nothing to do with it... Oh you know what it might be... Fails authentication? In Server (the app), go to your user account, click the gear icon and Edit Access to Services... Make sure VPN is checked.

Additionally, why not create a dummy account to make sure it isn't something with permissions for your particular account... Sounds unlikely but worth a shot.

Jun 29, 2013 5:28 PM in response to cclloyd

Oh right... I hate to say it, but close the Server app, delete it, and delete the folder "Server" in Library.

Redownload the app from the App Store and start from scratch. Honestly, I've had to do it a few times for issues I just couldn't figure out. For example, my Mac Mini is an access point, because it gives off dual-band N and my gateway/router only does G, so I messed with the DHCP settings, and my Macbook wouldn't get an IP... So I reset the DHCP server to default settings, still nothing. I deleted and reinstalled the Server app, now it works again.

Because it's not your firewall, it's not your settings, it's not permissions, and it's not like there's a setting for only allowing local connections for VPN...

VPN Authentication failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.