Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SuperDrive (optical drive) Compatibility

Have a MacBook Pro 13" (mid-2010) that has a damaged SuperDrive.

Have another MacBook Pro 15" mid-2009) where someone spilled coke on it and fried the Logic & Keyboard assemblies Board (too expensive to repair thus the 13" replacement.

Anyway was wondering if anyone out there knows if the SuperDrive in the 15" is compatable with my 13"?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 6:41 PM

Look on ifixit for the illustrated teardown guides for each.

The drive is likely to be compatible, but if it is stuck into a goofy-shaped aluminum tray that is nowhere near the same shape as the other one, that may not help you.

10 replies

Jun 30, 2013 6:42 AM in response to Bob Grove

Yes I do. There are no real changes to the size of the case between the 2009 and 2010 models (or even the models available today) so the space the drive fit into is the same. As I stated all notebook dvd drives are the same dimensions. That is except for the heigth and since there was no changes to the thickness of those 2 models the drive heigth will be the same. Yes Apple might of used a different model number superdrive between the 2 years but that is because the one used in the 2009 was discontinued and a newer model released and used in the 2010 model. All these drive are made by Matshita which I think is part of panasonic or the other way around.

Jun 30, 2013 9:01 AM in response to LowLuster

In my experience, the manufacturer's drive model used inside may indeed be the same. But then there is the mount, and that is why I suggested you look at the shape of the assembled module on ifixit.

I have found that these drives may be partially enclosed by lightweight aluminum carriers. These may be attached by glue or double-stick foam tape or other diabolical attachment methods that are not simple to remove. In removing these in the past, all I ended up with after a lot of work was a pile of bent aluminum mountings and a bent and unusable drive. It was an exercise in futility.

Because of this potential difficulty, I do not recommend re-purposing the drive from one model into another.

But sites like ifixit and many others will sell you a used drive, with a modest warranty, with exactly the mounting frame you need, for not a lot of money. That is the approach I would recommend.

SuperDrive (optical drive) Compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.