Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 occasionally not receiving messages from one iPhone 4s

My iPhone 4 Verizon 16 GB is occasionally not recieving messages from my friend's iPhone 4s Verizon 16GB occaisionally for no good reason that I can find.

I have HEAVY experience with iOS and many iDevices, so I can say that I know my way around an iPhone a bit, thats why this is really confusing me, I have tried doing a full factory reset of my iPhone and that didnt help either.

I don't pay for 3G since i use Page Plus Cellular, so when i leave WiFi it switches to text instead of iMessage, her iPhone is the only one that when she replies to my texts occaisionally I will not ever get them. it's getting very annoying once I haven't gotten a reply in a half hour to just send a text saying "resend" all the time... Any solutions would be greatly appreciated!

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 6:41 PM

8 replies

Jun 29, 2013 8:49 PM in response to Bryantdl7

More than likely her phone is still sending as an iMessage to your device when you are out of wifi range and the message never gets delivered.

To prove that theory have her compose a message to you when you are out of wifi range and then when she clicks into the message area to type the text (just click in that box, don't type anything) does it says "iMessage" or "text message" in the box?

Basically if it says "iMessage" the iMessage servers don't know your phone has gone out of range of wifi.

If I were you I would just disable iMessage all together and just text since you dont have a data plan.

Jun 29, 2013 8:59 PM in response to CoolHand_Luke

I have asked her to check before to see if it was sending as text (green bubbles) they would send as a text message successfully not an iMessage, yet occasionally i would not receive a text, it wouldn't even be directly after leaving WiFi, thats what stumps me.

As for disabling iMessage, i only have a 2,000 text a month plan so that wouldn't be affordable at 4 cents a text after 2,000.

Jun 29, 2013 9:03 PM in response to Bryantdl7

HI Friend,

Try to unsign and sign in again.

For FaceTime and iMessage chosse to use your email address instead of your mobile number.

Go to Settings>>Message>>Send&Receive and set your email address.

If it is still not working, unsign your Apple ID and select your mobile number ("+" "country code" "mobile number").

Turn off Show Subject in Settings>>Message

Reset the Network Setting, which makes your phone to forget every networks and passwords that you connected your phone to.

to reset the Network Settings just go to Settings - General - Reset (at the bottom) - Reset Network Settings.

I remember when I reset the Network Settings, i turned off iMessages. I connected to my home Wi-Fi and surfed the web for a little while. Sent some regular SMS messages, and about 10min later, I turned on iMessages again and sent a text to a friend with an iPhone and it started working as iMessage! Baloons finally became blue.

Go to www.apple.com or Settings>>iCloud then access your Apple ID. There you can edit your information, placing your phone number and tap OK. then go to iMessage settings and mark your phone number to receive iMessages.

Also check in: Settings>>Message if you turned on iMessage before. Here, turn off "Show Subject Field".

Change your address for your currently location. If not works, change it for your native country.

Did you turn on iCloud as well?

Jun 29, 2013 9:08 PM in response to Bryantdl7

Hi Bryantdl7,

Take a look at this Messages troubleshooting article. Any chance your friend has downloaded an (unnecessary, and probably harmful) Anti Virus software? Are all other messages that your friend is sending being received byt the recipients? Is it just your phone that is not getting them? Has your friend tried signing out of Messages and back in? Just some thoughts....

Here's the article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2755

Cheers and good luck!

GB

iPhone 4 occasionally not receiving messages from one iPhone 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.