Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The superdive in my Powermac G5 does not read CDs or DVDs correctly.

Came into a Powermac G5's without HDs. Installed a HD from a G4 D.A. (Sata running on Sonnet card) & all seemed well. Wanted to use a 1 TB Hitachi on the internal bus. My Leopard install disk (retail) was seemingly read by the orig. Sony DW-Q28A, but theinstallation was always aborted. Switched to a Pioneer DVR-111D. Same problem. Some disks, both commercial or burned on my G4 using a Pioneer drive, would also show up as unreadableor or as blank disks. Also tried to clone (using Carbon Cpy Cloner) the working Leopard OS disk. CCC would finish and report errors in process (so maybe working HD is also flawed). Interestingly, installed the Sony drive in a firewire drive enclosure. This setup works without a hitch. This, to me, indicates that I have a hardware problem. Am I missing a firmware fix that will make my problem go away? Or a bad internal cable? Or a bad board? Dfon't like the inconvenience of the external drive.

Phil C.

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 8:24 PM

4 replies

Jul 1, 2013 12:09 PM in response to cawcaw

All my PowerMac G5s have had at least one replacement optical drive. One has had four... In all cases, the first hint of a problem was incorrect reads (or no read) of known good CD/DVDs. I've been told that it has to do with plastic lenses and laser light but that's only hearsay.

I've gotten most of mine from Other World Computing, though I've gotten a couple from Amazon when I knew the exact model.

Nov 3, 2014 1:08 AM in response to RatVega™

I had other demands that preoccupied me for some time immediately after I posted this question and I had completely forgotten about it (the post) until I decided to revisit the problem today. I miss the flexibility of the 2-drive set-up of the G4. Sorry. I hope you understand that I was not being dismissive of your help.

Anyway, I had shopped OWC as soon as I encountered the problems outlined (I have purchased all my optical drives from them) and they did not have any G5 compatible drives and still do not. Because of this, I've been making do with the external enclosure fix.

Again, ThanX for your reply.

Phil C.

Nov 3, 2014 1:27 AM in response to BDAqua

Firstly, see my reply to 'Ratvega' below. I had considered using 'cut and past', but .... ?

Also, you don't have to answer this, but how would this test work if I had a bad install disc (which later proved to be the case)?

Anyway, i do appreciate that you showed interest in my question/problem. Phil C.

The superdive in my Powermac G5 does not read CDs or DVDs correctly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.