Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match insanity

I have an iTunes Match subscription with all of my music etc stored on a cloud. It is under my Apple ID

My husband has the same under his separate Apple ID.

We both pay the £22 per year subscription but only my hisband can access his music from the cloud on iTunes match as our new Mini Mac will not allow me to associate my Apple ID to the computer.

What is this all about. We do not want to join our libraries or use separate computers.

We both have a separate log in on the mini mac but still can't associate another Apple ID to allow me to access iTunes Match.

I do not want to go through some convoluted fix of sharing etc to sort it out I just want the simple solution - access to my iTunes Match - for which I have paid a subscription - on the computer which Apple has also been paid a princely sum.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 30, 2013 3:14 AM

8 replies

Jun 30, 2013 4:13 AM in response to renstarr

Still not appropriate I'm afraid.

Out of 5,000 items in my library, only about 50 are purchased, the rest are from CDs.

I don't want a consolidated library. I want my own library on my very expensive computer. Too much to ask?

Can I find a way to download to the computer from the cloud and we both have separate physical libraries?

Jul 3, 2013 7:22 AM in response to KRG0205

KRG0205 wrote:

Still not appropriate I'm afraid.

Since you reject the only possible solution, your only recourse at this time is to contact iTunes Support and have them cancel and refund your fee for the service. Only one computer can can be associated with one Apple ID for iTunes Match, automatic downloads and re-downloading of items from the purchase history at a time. This is done by the computer's MAC address.

You and your husband can have your own seperate libraries in your own User Accounts, but only one of you can have iTunes Match enabled.

Jul 3, 2013 11:57 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

Thank you for your efforts but this doesn't resolve my issue. Firstly, if either of us gets a refund on iTunes Match then we won't be able to access our music via the cloud on our other devices - iPad, iPods and iPhone. Which takes us back to the fundamental issue that it clearly states on iTunes Match that you can now access your music on ALL of your devices. I can't.

I can't see anything that lets me know that I can't do this if I happen to share a family computer with another person who also has an apple ID and iTunes Match. Secondly, we both want to listen to our own music whilst working on the computer and we were clearly told we could by the sales person.

Neither of us wants to clog up the hard drive by downloading our libraries from the cloud and clearly I can't even if I wanted to.

The real solution would be for Apple to sort this out so other families don't get frustrated by this insane rule. As long as these "fixes" are suggested, then it will carry on. I cannot find a way to feed this back to anyone who can do anything about it. I also cannot believe that one of the world's most technologically advanced companies cannot find a solution.

Jul 3, 2013 10:16 PM in response to KRG0205

KRG0205 wrote:

Thank you for your efforts but this doesn't resolve my issue. Firstly, if either of us gets a refund on iTunes Match then we won't be able to access our music via the cloud on our other devices - iPad, iPods and iPhone. Which takes us back to the fundamental issue that it clearly states on iTunes Match that you can now access your music on ALL of your devices. I can't.

No. Not on the same computer.

KRG0205 wrote:

I can't see anything that lets me know that I can't do this if I happen to share a family computer with another person who also has an apple ID and iTunes Match. Secondly, we both want to listen to our own music whilst working on the computer and we were clearly told we could by the sales person.

The sales person was mistaken about iTunes Match. Of course, you both can have your own seperate OS X User Accounts, with iTunes library on the same computer. It just isn't possible to have iTunes Match active for two Apple IDs on the same computer. See this Apple KB article for more information on associating computers with Apple IDs: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4627?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US. This article states: "Once a device or computer is associated with your Apple ID, you cannot associate that device or computer with another Apple ID for 90 days."

KRG0205 wrote:

The real solution would be for Apple to sort this out so other families don't get frustrated by this insane rule. As long as these "fixes" are suggested, then it will carry on. I cannot find a way to feed this back to anyone who can do anything about it. I also cannot believe that one of the world's most technologically advanced companies cannot find a solution.

See, here is a difference of perspective. Since the system is functioning as designed, there is no problem to "fix" so there is no need for a "solution." Now, I'm not saying I agree with this. However, this is how the system currently works. It is possible that this current setup, only one computer being able to be active with iTunes Match, automatic downloads and re-downloads from the purchase history, may not be what Apple wanted. It may be a demand imposed by the record labels, who own the copyrights to the music Apple sells. At any rate for now and the foreseeable future this is how the system works.

You have pretty much one choice right now: either consolidate both your libraries and use iTunes Match with one or the other of your Apple IDs, or don't. Which ever you choose I suggest you contact iTunes Store support to get a refund for one since you can't use both on the same computer.

iTunes Match insanity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.