Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sync music and photos on 1st Generation AppleTV?

I have a 1st Gen Apple TV and I can't sync music and photos.

I have 'paired' with the device and it shows in iTunes - I can stream music (airplay?)...

I did previously sync about 80gb on an old mac. Before I moved to a new mac, I deauthorized the computer (you can only have 5 associated with your iTunes accout to play purchased content).

On the new Mac, even though it's authorized (shouldn't matter), there is no option for the device to sync music or photos or movies (even home made ones)...

A posting https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5138607?tstart=0 indicates that I have to use the original Mac? States you can sync with only one computer - yes, I understand that, much like an iPhone... If this is the case, I should have the option to DELETE and sync with the new Mac (just like an iPhone.)

Any clues?

TIA,

Jeeves

Apple TV

Posted on Jun 30, 2013 10:04 AM

7 replies

Jun 30, 2013 2:01 PM in response to Jeeves_TX

If you have paired with the new computer, the new content may be streaming only under My Shared Movies/TV Shows etc.

Go to Settings>Computers and remove any existing entries. If you see 2 then it's likely the lower entry is the current sharing/streaming only one.

If you delete the top (sync) entry AppleTV will wipe itself clean of content you synced with the old computer ready to sync with a new one - provided you remove the other entry as well you should be able to configure the new computer at the top of the list.

AC

Jul 1, 2013 1:04 PM in response to Alley_Cat

I did some more checking as I still had my old computer online.

I booted and went into iTunes.

Under DEVICES, the TV was listed, along with MUSIC, PHOTOS, PLAYLISTS, much like an iPod/Touch.

When I went into PREFERENCES->TV DEVICES, the TV was listed and on the site, it stated SYNCING.

On the other computer, it listed STREAMING. I did do a RIGHT CLICK on the device and selected "STOP STREAMING" and it disappeard - must RE-PAIR with the unit I guess.

I'm afraid to perform the following, but if someone out there has the equipment, maybe they can check...

Make sure nothing else is managing the TV.

Pair with the unit so you have all sorts of options under the device and it shows 'syncing'.

Now, create a new account and perform the same thing or use another Mac. I believe it will limit you to STREAMING only.

My thoughts are that ONLY ONE computer can sync (just like other device). I have to disconnect the association with the old computer.

Even though I moved everything over with Migration Assistant, I didn't have any issues with managing the iPhones, but I'm wondering if there is a Computer UUID that the AppleTV is TIED to. Since I'm on a different computer UUID, and it's being managed by another one, I'm limited to STREAMING.

Only other choice is to RESET the unit - now, where did my manual go?

Thoughts?

Jul 1, 2013 2:13 PM in response to Jeeves_TX

AppleTV 1 can only sync with 1 computer/iTunes library but it can stream (share) from several (up to 5 I think).

I don't think migration assistant is adequate to preserve all those unique device IDs that would be used for iTunes authorisation and pairing etc.

If you want to sync from the new computer you need to turn off syncing by right clicking on the AppleTV in iTunes on teh old one - that'll wipe AppleTV.

Next remove the streaming AppleTV connection from the new one, then set up afresh from the AppleTV Settings>Computers.

AC

Jul 10, 2013 12:44 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Well, this didn't help.

I UNSYNCED the AppleTV from Computer 1 and disconnected the STREAMING connection from Computer 2.

I rebooted everything and obtained a passcode and was ONLY able to connect STREAMING from either computer.

Ok, start over from scratch then....

I went into the AppleTV settings and RESET to factory settings.

After that, I was able to connect as a SYNC'd connect from Computer 2 (which is the new computer).

BUG it is - once you have disconnect a SYNC'd connection from ANY computer (as you are limited to one), this should open the box for adding a SYNC'd connection again from any computer.

Can't sync music and photos on 1st Generation AppleTV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.