Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring One of Two Volumes

I had a problem with the internal hard disk on my iMac, so, I had to reformat the startup disk. I initiated the restore from Time Machine process from the Recovery HD, but, as I have two volumes backed up to Time Machine -- my startup disk plus an external data disk -- I'm wondering if Time Machine is smart enough to only restore the startup disk volume and not everything including the data from the external drive. I assume Time Machine would let me know there isn't enough space to put it all on my startup disk before starting the restore, but, it hasn't.

Will Time Machine only restore the Mac HD volume or will it attempt to restore all the data from both volumes onto my startup disk? If it will restore all the data, how do I make it only restore the Mac HD volume data? Thanks!

White 24" iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 3 GB SDRAM

Posted on Jun 30, 2013 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 1:04 PM

Never mind, I found the answer elsewhere.

3 replies

May 5, 2015 6:14 AM in response to T_Y

1) Launch TimeMachine and go back to the desired incremental backup.

2) Command-click on the folder / drive name at the very top of the window and select "Computer". This will reveal the individual drives that have been backed up.

3) Select the desired drive in the list and click on it to select the restore option you want.

Restoring One of Two Volumes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.