Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading Win7 to Win8 on Bootcamp

Hello all,

I am planning on upgrading to Win8 Pro in the next coming weeks. Currently, I am running a 13-inch Macbook Pro with the newest OS X update (as of June, 30 2013) and already have Bootcamp with Win7.

My question is: How do I initiate the upgrade? Do I download the latest Bootcamp 5 drivers, then boot into Windows, download and install Win8 Pro Upgrade? Do I have to create an .iso image for Win8 and re-run Bootcamp?

I guess this then leads to: Will I lose my data if I have to re-run Bootcamp? etc.

Thank you for the help, any information will be extremely helpful!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 30, 2013 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2013 2:17 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

The first thing you have to do before upgrading is to install the Windows support software for Windows 8 > http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1638

After installing the Windows support software in Windows, you are ready to upgrade. If you haven't bought Windows yet, go to the Microsoft Store and purchase Windows 8 Pro as a download or in a DVD. Then, just follow the steps of the installer and it will upgrade your MacBook Pro to Windows 8. Mountain Lion won't be modified and you won't lose anything, but make a backup of your files

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2013 2:17 PM in response to ncurro

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

The first thing you have to do before upgrading is to install the Windows support software for Windows 8 > http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1638

After installing the Windows support software in Windows, you are ready to upgrade. If you haven't bought Windows yet, go to the Microsoft Store and purchase Windows 8 Pro as a download or in a DVD. Then, just follow the steps of the installer and it will upgrade your MacBook Pro to Windows 8. Mountain Lion won't be modified and you won't lose anything, but make a backup of your files

Upgrading Win7 to Win8 on Bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.