Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes is freezing and I don't know why

It used to work but now a tune will play a little more than a minute at which point the progress bar freezes. The tune will continue to completion but the next tune will not play. I have to force quit the app. It does this on smart playlists and on selected tunes from the library.

I had 11.0.4 installed so I booted from a backup, deleted the app and the iTunes folder in my library and re-installed 11.0.3, which used to work. It does the same thing.

My iTunes library is on an external disk as is the iTunes media. This has never been a problem before. However, I notice when iTunes start it frequently finds the itl file to be corrupt and tries to rebuild from the xml file. When I copy what should be the identical itl file from Previous iTunes Libraries it always fires up correctly, or at least I thought it did. I don't know if this is related or not.

It strikes me that once iTunes finds the tune and starts to play it that the iTunes library should not matter, but maybe it does.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Library & media on an external driv

Posted on Jun 30, 2013 2:29 PM

2 replies

Jun 30, 2013 3:10 PM in response to IHaveOne

There is a possibility this is related to refreshing podcasts. When I do this manually, it freezes iTunes and takes a long time because one particular podcast has hundreds of historic entries that iTunes has to work through. I think it is possible that I changed something to cause refreshing podcasts to start automatically. Is that possible? If so, how do I turn it off?

iTunes is freezing and I don't know why

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.