12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2013 11:29 AM by Jumpup4it
J_sMomx3 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm trying to hook up my iMac to my 50" Vizio HDTV via mini display to hdmi. When I plug everything in, my TV says "Not Support" I've tried switching hdmi ports, and I'm not in the position to return or get different cables. Help would be appreciated.

iMac, Windows 7, I used Bootcamp to get Windows 7
  • MartinR Level 6 Level 6 (14,780 points)
    • What model iMac do you have?
    • Exactly what miniDisplayPort adapter & cables are you using?
    • What model Vizio HDTV do you have?
    • Do you have the manual for your HDTV?  Have you looked up the directions for connecting a computer to your TV?
  • J_sMomx3 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

iMac 21.5-inch, mid 2011

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

Serial Number C1*******HJF

Sofware Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

I wasn't sure exactly what you wanted so I just put everything there. I did go online and check the manual but it didn't have anything about connecting a computer to it via HDMI.

TV Model Number: E500-A1

<Edited by Host>

I forgot the Mini Display Port. Here it is. This is the exact one and exactly where I got it from. And I guess I would be willing to try and return it for a new one if that's what it'll take..\

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1PU0K69375

Try this:

1. Turn off your iMac and your TV.
    2. Connect the miniDisplayport adapter to your iMac, and your HDMI cable from the miniDisplayport adapter to HDMI #4 on your TV.
    3. Turn on your iMac, log in to your account
    4. Turn on your TV.  Make sure you switch it to HDMI #4.  The screen may flash once or twice, then you should see your iMacs's desktop on your TV screen.

If this doesn't work, please tell us exactly what happens on both your iMac and your TV when you do Step #4 above.

I didn't work. I followed the steps exactly. My iMac screen flashed blue. then my tv screen said "Retreiving data" then it said "Not Support" again.

Well, the first thing I would suspect is the $6 miniDisplayPort-HDMI adapter that you bought.   Second thing I would suspect is the HDMI cable.  Your iMac is sensing the presence of the TV but the TV isn't seeing the signal from your iMac.

I'd recommend the Apple miniDisplayPort-DVI adapter + a DVI-HDMI cable like this one.   This is what I have used for the past 5 years and it works perfectly.

Also, here is an Apple Knowledgebase Article about miniDisplayport - HDMI adapters.

I'm not really in the position to buy that $30 Mini Display Port. Is there any way to get it cheaper?

You may find it on eBay, B&H Photo or from other vendors for less.  But it's not going to be much less, certainly not $6.

Okay, well thank you for your help. I will let you know if it works!

I contacted the people who sold me that cable, and they said that they would ship a new one to me for free. I accepted the offer, when it came in the mail today, I followed your exact steps and it worked! Thank you for your help MartinR!

I'm back again with a different problem. I'm using Bootcamp with Windows 7 and my sound doesn't work. When I switch over to the OS X side, the sound works perfectly. It was working fine but it seemed to occur after I unplugged the cords leading to my TV, but now I can't hear anything. I tried updating my Realtek drivers with no avail. I plugged in a Memorex speaker with an AUX cord and that didn't work either. Please help.

• Jumpup4it Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having the same issue with a imac to samsung hdtv.  cable workd because i have macbook pro and its connects to the tv.  But with imac the tv just says 'no signal'.

is there an OS issue here?