Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant write to SD card?

I cant seem to write to my SD card. I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro and am using a Samsung 64gb class 10 SDXC card.

The card reads just fine, but I am completely unable to copy files to it or delete files from it.

Its all of my SD cards too. I have tried different sizes and formats. I am able to Read/Write on a PC.

NO. None of the cards switches are on the LOCK position.

I have tried to format the cards several times, and even some weird trick saying to put the lock switch half way between locked and unlocked. Nothing is working.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 30, 2013 9:21 PM

30 replies

Jul 1, 2013 7:02 PM in response to TacoLord187

Boot into Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. In the Terminal window, type this:

touch /V

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

touch /Volumes/

Now type the first few letters of the volume name and press tab again. The name should be auto-completed. If not, type it out. Press return.

If you get an error message to the effect that the volume is read-only, then that's what it is. If you get no error message, the volume is writable, and something is wrong with the system on your startup volume. In that case, you should quit Terminal and reinstall OS X (but only if you have a current backup.)

To exit Recovery mode, select

Restart

from the menu bar.

Jul 2, 2013 4:28 PM in response to Linc Davis

Here is what I know. Mac thinks it read only because there is an issue with the lock switch in the readeritself. It seems to think all SD cards have their switch set to lock. I know its not my card even though mac says its read only for 3 reasons.

1. Its brand new. Literally 2 days old

2. It lets me read/write on a PC

3. My camera can read write it.

Please don't tell me to take it to Apple for repairs, they will just charge me $500 because they would have to replace the whole logic board because I don't have Apple Care. I need a way to either bypass that stupid internal lock switch, or somehow fix it.

Any help along those lines is gretaly appreciated.

Jul 2, 2013 4:43 PM in response to TacoLord187

I can't tell you anything that isn't obvious. There's no secret button to push that I know of. You have these options:

Use the cards read-only on the Mac. If the camera can write to them, I don't see why it's a problem. The purpose of the cards is to store data in the camera and transfer it to the computer.

Write to them on your PC, if you need to to do that for some reason that I'm unaware of.

Try an external card reader (which is cheap, but may not work.)

Jul 2, 2013 4:51 PM in response to Linc Davis

There has to be a way to pull that switch back out.

Using the mac as a read only is kind of a waste....these cost so much I shouldn't have trouble deleting photos off a simple SD card. Im leaving for college soon so I wont have PC access like I do now. I have an external reader but it doesn't support my SDXC card. Deleting all the photos on the cam is a huge pain especially when I take 50-200 at a time.

Cant write to SD card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.