Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i speed up my mac

I have had my macbook pro (13 inch late 2011) for over a year now. It has run beautifully and I have not had one issue with it up until recently. Now it seems to lag and take a much longer time to do anything. I have noticed the problem while doing many different tasks on the computer. The most common problem I run into is iPhoto freezing or even crashing while I am going through photos. Sometimes it even freezes up on me and I have to restart it. I have 300 gb free out of 500gb on my hard drive and I have 4 GB of RAM. Any suggestions?

Pages-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 30, 2013 8:22 PM

4 replies

Jun 30, 2013 8:46 PM in response to god1stgrl

god1stgrl wrote:

... I have noticed the problem while doing many different tasks on the computer.

... and I have 4 GB of RAM.

4 GB is not an abundant amount. You can read this KB article regarding memory limitations and decide if you would benefit by adding more (you probably will):

Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory and determine how much RAM is being used

More memory is not a panacea for everything though. Poorly written apps or system modifications will degrade performance no matter how much memory you have.

Also read the following - it's very cursory, but it makes reference to Disk Utility at the end, which you should run to rule out disk corruption that may be causing this problem:

OS X Lion: If your Mac runs slowly

The "repair a disk" link at the end points to nothing useful so use this one instead:Disk Utility.

Back up your hard disk. The symptoms you describe can presage a hard disk failure. You have insufficient information to conclude that's the cause of your problems but you should have backups anyway.

If none of these suggestions help, then write back for more ideas.

Jun 30, 2013 11:23 PM in response to god1stgrl

Sometimes it even freezes up on me and I have to restart it.

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Step 1

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Enter "BOOT_TIME" (without the quotes) in the search box. Note the timestamps of those log messages, which refer to the times when the system was booted. Now clear the search box and scroll back in the log to the last boot time when you had the problem. Select the messages logged after the boot, during the time something abnormal was happening. Copy them to the Clipboard (command-C). Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

For example, if the problem is a slow startup taking three minutes, post the messages timestamped within three minutes after the boot time, not before. Please include the BOOT_TIME message at the beginning of the log extract.

If there are runs of repeated messages, post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Step 2

Still in Console, look under System Diagnostic Reports for crash or panic logs, and post the entire contents of the most recent one, if any. In the interest of privacy, I suggest you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if present (it may not be.) Please don’t post shutdownStall, spin, or hang logs — they're very long and not helpful.

how do i speed up my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.