Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer photos from Mac to ipad without syncing?

I need to transfer files From my Macbook Pro to my Ipad mini. I do not want to use Itunes. I need to be able to select only a few photos and files, Other times all files. I just need to manage the files. There are to many inherit problems syncing that do not coincide with a health work flow. Furthermore, with the work flow, I need to do this over usb, a majority of the time, no wifi, no internet, and no paying for apps that should do a simple task as moving a photo to the ipad.

On A P.C. It is easy. Plug it into the computer drop the files in and go. How do you do this on Mac?

1. Is there a way I can see the ipad as a drive on my Macbook Pro and access the files in the library's?

2. Without connecting to a computer, how do you delete all photos in the camera roll on the ipad?

3. If question #1 is not possible, how do I transfer photos and files to my ipad from the Macbook Pro without the programs listed above?

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 3:14 AM

24 replies

Jul 1, 2013 3:58 AM in response to Dyhas38

To this day, the iPad is still meant to be used with iTunes unless you are going to use it as a standalone device - meaning no reliance on any computer and you choose the PC free way and use iCloud or other cloud based WiFi solutions. If you want to be able to use it with a computer, you still need iTunes or you need to find the right app that suits your needs.

If you don't mind spending a couple of dollars for an app that might work for you....

1. To transfer files using USB look at an app called File Manager Folder Plus. I'm sure there other apps similar to this one.

File Manager - Folder Plus for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the ...

2. In order to delete the Camera Roll Photos - go to Settings>General>Usage>Storage>Photos and Camera>Camera Roll. Swipe across the Camera Roll in order to bring up a red delete button. The photos can be deleted right in the camer roll as well. In thumnail view - tap the Edit button - tap on all of the photos that you want to delete - and then tap the red delete button.

Photos in the camera roll cannot be deleted as a result of a sync. Only photos that were on the iPad via the syncing process can be deleted by unsyncing.

3. See No.1

Jul 1, 2013 4:09 AM in response to Dyhas38

Hi Friend,

Regarding #3, go to Settings>>iCloud in your iPad, sign in with your Apple ID (if you didn't) and turn on Photos. Then in your iMac you can proceed as the same as your iPad, subscribe your Apple ID (if you didn't) and turn on Photos.

PS:

*remember to have connection to wifi;

*If you just have a couple of pics, this process takes fes minutes, as well as if you have thousands of pics, this process takes longer.

Hope it helps

Jul 1, 2013 6:00 AM in response to Dyhas38

Another way. You can use a USB flash drive & the camera connection kit.

Plug the USB flash drive (works the same with an SD card) into your computer & create a new folder titled DCIM. Then put your movie/photo files into the folder. The files must have a filename with exactly 8 characters long (no spaces) plus the file extension (i.e., my-movie.mov; DSCN0164.jpg).

Now plug the flash drive into the iPad using the camera connection kit. Open the Photos app, the movie/photo files should appear & you can import. (You can not export using the camera connection kit.)

Using The iPad Camera Connection Kit

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4101

Secrets of the iPad Camera Connection Kit

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57401068-285/secrets-of-the-ipad-camera-conn ection-kit/

~~~~~~~~~~

The links below have instructions for deleting photos.

iOS and iPod: Syncing photos using iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4236

iPad Tip: How to Delete Photos from Your iPad in the Photos App

http://ipadacademy.com/2011/08/ipad-tip-how-to-delete-photos-from-your-ipad-in-t he-photos-app

Another Way to Quickly Delete Photos from Your iPad (Mac Only)

http://ipadacademy.com/2011/09/another-way-to-quickly-delete-photos-from-your-ip ad-mac-only

How to Delete Photos from iPad

http://www.wondershare.com/apple-idevice/how-to-delete-photos-from-ipad.html

iPhoto for iOS (iPad): Delete photos from iPhoto

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph3137

How to: Batch Delete Photos on the iPad

http://www.lifeisaprayer.com/blog/2010/how-batch-delete-photos-ipad

(With iOS 5.1, use 2 fingers)

How to Delete Photos from iCloud’s Photo Stream

http://www.cultofmac.com/124235/how-to-delete-photos-from-iclouds-photo-stream/

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Jul 1, 2013 6:14 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

Ckuan

Thanks for replying.

1. On a P.C. It is a drive and can be used as on. On a mac, apparently it cannot.

2. I use that sometimes but when I have 6000 photos, I do not want to spend my life on my ipad..lol

3. That is a bummer.

Demo,

Thanks for referring me to the app. However, I am not looking to spend money on function that is or should be in the basics programing. Also, according to Apple, 3rd party programs are not allowed to access the library's. A contradiction in there own policies?

And on Number 2. You had my heart thumping. But it does not delete any photos. I may have to contact tech support. I really wish it will work.

Ya, wifi not always available or cell service.

Texas

The issue with using use usb is "this device requires to much power" I have tried the hub tick, not working so well. Do you know what brand or thumb drive does work?

As for deleting the photos, No computer, deleting all at once on the move with my mobile device :o) My apologies I should have been more clear about that.

Without apps or itunes there has got to be a way to manage and transfer photos between Mac and ipad. iTunes is a media player not a photo manager. It kills the efficiency of file and time management. Sad thing is the device Is fully capable of handling it. The programming not so much.

Any other thoughts?

Jul 1, 2013 6:23 AM in response to Dyhas38

Dyhas38 wrote:

Demo,

Thanks for referring me to the app. However, I am not looking to spend money on function that is or should be in the basics programing. Also, according to Apple, 3rd party programs are not allowed to access the library's. A contradiction in there own policies?

And on Number 2. You had my heart thumping. But it does not delete any photos. I may have to contact tech support. I really wish it will work.

Ya, wifi not always available or cell service.

I have the Folder + app and it works. I know that you don't want to spend the money, but down the road, it might be something that you would want to consider.

Unfortunately, you are not the first user that I have read about that says deleting the photos from the storage settings will not work. I wish I could tell you why it isn't working in your case, but it should work. You should still be able to delete them from the camera roll album using the method that I described. As I said, syncing will not remove camera roll photos so that as never an option anyway.

If you contact tech support about the photos, I would be curious to hear what their solution is.

Jul 1, 2013 9:50 AM in response to EZ Jim

Syncing is bad. It is also not a good way to manage files. Because it slaves you to a single computer. You can sync to other computer however, that causes more problems than it is worth. And we are back at using iTunes and syncing.

As for emailing look at the time lost to do that.

1. Open email

2. Attach photos. ( now your limited to the size of files because of limits on the email )

3. Email it. ( wait for it to upload )

4. Open email on computer or ipad ( wait for it to load )

5. Download each file ( wait for them to download. )

6. Close email ( look at the time lost waiting )

Wait times can get long if your on a slow or public wifi network. And if you have more than a few files that would take all day.

Dropbox is good when you have wifi. The problem come when transferring more than say 5 photos to ipad.

You cannot download multiple files at once from dropbox to ipad. Thus going back to file and time management, internet and wifi connection.

That is why I am looking for a solution to plug in the Ipad to the Mac by USB and moving files that way.

1. Plug in ipad

2. Open program to move files ( if its not done automatically )

3. Move files to and from ipad. (Pick and choose the folders I would like each file to go in. Not synced into one folder then move each file into the correct folder) ( Wait for files the to transfer. Much faster than email or dropbox )

4. Close program

5. Unplug ipad and keep on moving.

No need for wifi or internet connection.

Jul 1, 2013 10:02 AM in response to Dyhas38

Dyhas38 wrote:

1. Plug in ipad

2. Open program to move files ( if its not done automatically )

3. Move files to and from ipad. (Pick and choose the folders I would like each file to go in. Not synced into one folder then move each file into the correct folder) ( Wait for files the to transfer. Much faster than email or dropbox )

4. Close program

5. Unplug ipad and keep on moving.

No need for wifi or internet connection.

As you have outlined this, As far as I know, no such app exists. Item number 3, will not work at this time in iOS.

You will not be able to access other apps simply by transferring the files to an app like I originally suggested. You will still have to send the files using "open in" to the appropriate apps after you transfer the files to the app that lets you do the file transfer.

If you really need to operate this way, and I understand that you may need to do so, the iPad is/was not a practical choice for you. It is not going to work the way that you want it to work.

Jul 1, 2013 10:46 AM in response to Demo

Lol apparently so. The programming and file management is absurdly lacking functionality. And it is only between the ipad and mac computers. Ipad to P.C. no problem, plug and go. Therefor, it is possible. And I just want to access my camera roll/photo library not the photos or files in other apps. It would be nice if I could use Photo Macanic to export to the ipad or even Adobe Bridge.

Aug 20, 2013 6:54 AM in response to Dyhas38

There are many ways to do this and doing iTunes way is one old fashioned way that works but requires way too much skill.

Another way is to transfer to cloud drives like Dropbox and then read it off that

The third way is to use applications like ours called iPad Max Platinum wherein you install an agent on the Mac and then all files show up on your iPad and whichever one you need locally just download it to your iPad or iPhone over a wireless connection.

Transfer photos from Mac to ipad without syncing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.