Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen freezes after login, stuck on stripey grey screen?

Hi there,

My Mac Pro is about 2,5 years old, I'm almost quite sure my graphic card is giving up but I'd be very thankful to have some insight from you guys.

I'll also describe my experience here so it might help someone having the same issue.

1. I was watching a movie on itunes this morning, suddenly scren goes white and computer freezes up.

2. Try to force restart it but after login it freezes up on a dark grey screen. Every time.

3. Computer runs fine when restarted on Safe Mode (holding "Shift" while rebooting). It didn't freeze at all while on Safe Mode.

4. Did all the tests and repairs with Disk Utility and no problem whatsoever.

5. Every now and then still tried to restart on normal mode but same freezing happened in 80% of the time. Strangely enough in the other 20%, computer managed to go past the login screen but would freeze again shortly afterwards. And staright away when I tried to load my display settings. Always on this dark grey screen.

6. Decided to do a fresh start -> format -> reinstall OS. Was running OS 10.8 when problem started.

7. Formatted hard drive and downgraded to 10.6 again. Installation was smooth. Computer restarted and frozen again as soon as the "Welcome" video intro started. Restarted again and it worked fine but started to freeze shortly later again, it's just taking a bit longer to happen.

8. I've just run Apple Hardware Test from the installation DVD and no problem whatsoever has been found.

Which makes me think it can only be my graphic card (?) what do you guys think?

OS 10.8.4 and/or 10.6.4

3.33GHZ Processor

ATI Radeon HD 5870

32GB Memory

2TB HD

Thanks very much guys, let me know if I can provide any more detail about this.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 3:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 7:48 AM

Accelerated Video Drivers for the 5770 and 5870 first appeared in 10.6.5, so when running 10.6, be sure to update to at least that version before drawing conclusions.

Otherwise, I think your conclusions that this is a graphics card problem are likely correct. Over a very large sample, these cards have been much more reliable than many previous cards. But you do not have a very large sample, you have one card.

The Mac Pro (65lb tower) uses Error Correcting Code memory, so this is NOT a RAM memory problem or you would be getting kernel panics with machine check, uncorrected error.

Apple hardware test is a tool that only seems to detect the grossest of errors. It is famous for false negatives.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2013 7:48 AM in response to gtaccetti

Accelerated Video Drivers for the 5770 and 5870 first appeared in 10.6.5, so when running 10.6, be sure to update to at least that version before drawing conclusions.

Otherwise, I think your conclusions that this is a graphics card problem are likely correct. Over a very large sample, these cards have been much more reliable than many previous cards. But you do not have a very large sample, you have one card.

The Mac Pro (65lb tower) uses Error Correcting Code memory, so this is NOT a RAM memory problem or you would be getting kernel panics with machine check, uncorrected error.

Apple hardware test is a tool that only seems to detect the grossest of errors. It is famous for false negatives.

Jul 1, 2013 5:43 PM in response to gtaccetti

Just an update, freezing was less frequent while on 10.6.8. Decided then update to 10.8.4 again and kept freezing during installation to the point that I'm not sure installation has been completed.

I have ordered a new ATI Radeon 5870 and will do a fresh install again when it arrives. Will post more updates as soon as I have them.

Cheers.

Screen freezes after login, stuck on stripey grey screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.