Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot and hard drive issues.

Hi all.

I've got an issue with my Macbook Air 13" (ivy bridge).

It all started when my computer froze and I had to force it to shut down by pressing and holding the power button. Afterwards, I emmediately powered up the computer, but instead of booting up properly it showed a grey screen with an apple logo, and underneath the logo was a progress bar. Before the progress bar had finished, the screen turned black. I tried booting up the computer again, but the same happened. Then I tried booting it up while simultaneously pressing both the power and the option button in order to format the hard drive. But low and behold, it couldn't be formatted. Then I started the computer in safe mode and managed to format the drive. Then I tried reinstalling OSX via the Mac OSX utilities - it downloaded the required files and then started installing the OS. But when the progress bar reached something like 95%, I got the error message:

"An error occurred while installing OS X."

After this happened, I got a grey screen with a blinking folder icon with a question mark within it - and nothing happens when I try to boot the computer in safe mode or if I boot it while simultaneously pressing both the power and option button.

Anyone who got a clue what's wrong? Is there an easy fix, or should I send it in for repair?

Thanks in advance,

Marie.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 3:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 4:00 AM

Just to specify: I get the grey screen with the blinking folder icon on boot up.

1 reply

Boot and hard drive issues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.