Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create a watermark in Pages?

I seem to remember there was a process by which an image could be use to create a watermark in pages but there is no longer anything in Help. Is this still available?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Intel Duo 20" flatpanel

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 7:49 AM

Insert a Text Box.

Put your Text in the Box.

Size the Box.

Size the Text.

Set the Color and Opacity of the Text.

Set the Border Stroke if you want a border.

In the Wrap Inspector, set the Text Box to Floating and make sure Object Causes Wrap is not checked.

Rotate the Box if you like.

Format, Advanced, Move Object to Section Master if you want this to appear on each page.

Jerry

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2013 7:49 AM in response to Sparkgapper

Insert a Text Box.

Put your Text in the Box.

Size the Box.

Size the Text.

Set the Color and Opacity of the Text.

Set the Border Stroke if you want a border.

In the Wrap Inspector, set the Text Box to Floating and make sure Object Causes Wrap is not checked.

Rotate the Box if you like.

Format, Advanced, Move Object to Section Master if you want this to appear on each page.

Jerry

Jul 1, 2013 12:31 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

That scenerio does not seem to work to add IMAGES onto a page for use as a watermark. Basically, what I am trying to do is take a partial screen shot of a Numbers document I created of a BLM Township Plat (see attached). With this as the watermark, I could then add typing to indicate who originally Patented (deeded) what part(s) of that Township.

Creating this directly inside a Text Box would be excessively labor intensive along with being exceedingly inaccurate as to appropriate size dimentions.

I guess this another portion of ClarisWorks/AppleWorks that was not ported into Pages.

Sparkgapper

p.s. Unable to attach or insert the image (png format). Image is basically a square with lines creating four rown and four columns of equal size.

Jul 1, 2013 12:55 PM in response to Sparkgapper

Not being familiar with your tolerence for labor intensity, I don't know what you would find acceptable. And, it seems that I may not really understand what you mean by "watermark". As for the difference between text box and image, that's my fault. Most people think of the watermark as a rubber stamp type object with something like "Draft" or "Do Not Duplicate", as a repeating message. So, I think I veered off track in that regard.

It seems perhaps that you want a repeating "framework" that you can make notes on. The basic idea is the same. Create your objects, Floating ones, size and position them, make sure they don't cause text wrap and send them to the Section Master. If you don't want your framework to obscure the text that you will type over it, Send those objects to the Background.

It's all quite simple, it seems to me. Floating Objects, probably not causing Wrap, but in some cases wrap might be an advantage. If these are always 1-page documents, don't even worry about sending them to the Section Master. In fact, if these are always 1-page documents, they may as well be done in Page Layout and you can forget about both the Master and Background characteristics.

As I see it, your big problem is going to me getting your notes to fall where you want them on the framework. I would suggest Text Boxes.

Jerry

Jul 1, 2013 3:05 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

I was thinking of a Watermark in the OLD sense of the word where the paper bore a mark put there by the printer, usually having to do with whomever would be using that particular paper, and was later replaced by "Official Letterhead" even though there was a "Makers Watermark" put on the paper before the letterhead was printer. Today professional photographers use this is to insert their Copyright and name such that only they can print an undistorted picture of that image. I want to basically modify that slightly to place an image as a template that could be used in a word precessor which would give me unrestricted numbers of pages by which to make notes about property patents, whether using the image or not, that would identify the information as coming from my research and therefore copyrighted. You are right in that the vast majority of them will be single page document though the possibility exists of run over to a second page that, if printed, would duplexed onto both sides of a single page.

As for Text Wrap, I basically want to type as if the watermark was invisible to what is being typed. I.E. typing would be as on blank paper.

The part about "sent to background" is probably what I am looking for as that was the methodology in CW/AW that I remember (senior moment on wording) plus I seem to remember there was more than one level of "background" which would allow multiple Watermarks depending on necessity and purpose.

My primary limiting factor as to "complexity" or "intensity" is physica age and dextarity. I actually began using AW back in the old IIe days though my original computer was a Coleco Adam (everything fit into a 10 wpm printer including a dual streaming cassette tape drive.

Sparkgapper

Jul 1, 2013 3:55 PM in response to Sparkgapper

SG,

Text Wrap:

In the Wrap Inspector, with an object selected, you can select "Object causes wrap". The option causes the object to push text out of its way. You are telling me that you don't want this, so make sure the option is turned off.

Background:

The background layer is behind the text layer. If you want your objects (graphics, text boxes, shapes) to obscure the text that you type normally, leave the objects on top. If you would like to have the text overlay the objects, then send the objects to the Background.

Section Master:

Giving an object Section Master status causes it to repeat on every page of the section. That's every page of the document for most people since the average user doesn't make use of Section Breaks. I asked if your documents had more than 1-page, but I don't think you responded.

You say you just want to type away on the text layer and have things line up with your background template. Good luck with that. You are going to have terrible problems with the pitch of your text matching the scale of your background object. You may be ok at the top, but by the time you get to the bottom of the page the chances are you will be off a half a line. Better to use Text Boxes and align each one with the appropriate region of the template.

Dexterity:

There are ways to deal with eye-hand coordination and steadiness issues. Objects can be shifted by using the arrow keys and they can be sized and positioned by using the Metrics Inspector. And, remember that you only have to do the tedious stuff once. After that, Save as Template

The biggest problem I have with the new-fangled machines is that they are designed by kids with better vision than I will ever have again. They have no idea how much trouble us old guys have seeing the menus and instructions. The Mac App Store is one of the worst examples, where you can't even resize the text. The universal access tools for the vision impaired in System Preferences don't help me because I can't stand the look, or the loss of font smoothing. For critical work I reluctantly put on the strongest reading glasses and lower my nose to the screen.

Good luck,

Jerry

Jul 1, 2013 4:27 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Thanks mucho Jerry. I use background method to place my image in the background, after deselecting Tex Wrat in the inspector, then used "Text Box"es to add addition information/accents in specific places on the background opject, selected everything and "move object to section master" and finally saved the whole thing as a template.

Understand that about vision though you have me beat as to distance from screen. I had a special pair made with focal point at 18-24" which gives me considerable flexability working on just about any computer monitor. My major problem here is unequal depth perception (somewhat more farsighted in right virses left) which after extended periods leaves me sometimes seeing "Floaters".

Keep up the good work and next time I will try to be more specific in what I am looking for virsus how it is used today.

sparkgapper

Sep 28, 2015 5:46 AM in response to Sparkgapper

It is ridiculous that Apple Pages does not simply have a Watermark feature. On a PC it is so easy. I tried using the tutorials and following the steps but my inspector menu looks totally different than what is pictured, and after 30 minutes I give up. But even if I could have figured it out it is an unnecessary pain in the neck. Obviously a lot of people have wanted to create watermarks. Yoo hoo! Apple! How about being user friendly here.....

Do you know if there a customer feedback site or something?

<Edited by Host>

Sep 28, 2015 9:44 AM in response to cspri

You can provide Pages Feedback to Apple directly from your Pages menu.

If you want MS Word features on the Mac, there is only one choice, and it is not Pages.

The following was a text box enlarged sufficiently to contain the 154 pt, dark gray, Bank Gothic “Draft.” Using the Format panel's Arrange tab, I set the Text Wrap to None for the Text box, and rotated it to 45 degrees. I then set the opacity to 21 percent. The text flows over the faux watermark, because the text box is in the background. This is a one-page effect for demonstration purposes, and where the text box was not moved to the Section Master — a technique that would place it on every page of the current section.

User uploaded file

How to create a watermark in Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.