Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating Windows 8 to Win 8.1 Preview

I have an Apple iMac 27" with Windows 8 Pro on a bootcamp partition with all the latest updates installed.

I downloaded the KB2849636 Update, and Win 8.1 appeared in the Store.

I downloaded the Win 8.1 update and went through several restarts with the "beta fish" startup screen, from "setting up" to "getting devices ready" to "applying changes".

But then, after the last restart the screen just went blank black with no response.

I forced one more restart, and got a startup screen which said "restoring your previous version of Windows".

After Windows was restored to Win8.0, there was a popup "Sorry, we couldn't complete the update to Windows 8.1 Preview. We restored your previous version of Windows to this PC.

0xC1900101-0x40019."

Have anyone else experienced same issues? Does it in any way have smth to do with BootCamp?

iMac, Windows 8

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 6:37 AM

13 replies

Jul 1, 2013 10:37 AM in response to arvidsever

If your install failed you probably were using a preview version of Windows 8 or a borrowed Windows 8 key. If you had a properly activated version of Windows 8, you would not face the issue.

The work around is to download the ISO version http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-iso and find the product key in FAQ or NTTX3-RV7VB-T7X7F-WQYYY-9Y92F to activate Windows Blue.

You dont need a bootable disc - run ISO directly from its downloaded folder. I've done this on my iMac and Macbook Air.

Macs are the best thing that have happened to Windows 8 and vice versa.

Jul 3, 2013 11:29 AM in response to Device_Piledriver

Just to follow-up: By running MSCONFIG, selecting a "Diagnostic" startup which loads only basic drivers and services, and then rebooting with that configuration, it allowed me to run the upgrade without error.

...Not entirely sure it was worth all the hassle - explorer.exe acts strangely when booting, and it would appear that all programs set to start via the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry hierarchy is completely ignored.

Anyway, your mileage may (hopefully) vary, I wish you the best of luck. 🙂

Jul 14, 2013 9:11 AM in response to arvidsever

On my Dell laptop, I was facing the same problem as yours, if I am installing from the KB file. But I installed sucessfuly from ISO.

On my Mac book Retina, I can upgrade to win8.1 from KB file without any problem. But after I installed, the speaker sound difference compare to MacOS and previous Win8.

So your issue is MS installation issue not Bootcamp.

Updating Windows 8 to Win 8.1 Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.