Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"do not have permission to access this server" when connecting to a samba share with Finder

FYI this report has been sent to http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

I have problems connecting to a samba share with the Finder GUI.

a) Steps to reproduce

1. Go in Finder.

2. Cmd+K

3. smb://first.lastname:password@server.ipaddress/sharename/folder

4. It always results in a connection error "do not have permission to access this server".

b) workarounds

1. Using another OS such as Ubuntu in a virtual machine on the same host machine however works.

2. Back to OSX: I do this in the command line:

mount -t smbfs //first.lastname:password@ipaddr/sharename/folder mnt

and it works great. This eliminates all networking/firewall issues.

c) further analysis

I used wireshark to monitor the connection request to the SBM server.

I did connect both via the command line and also via Finder.

Both sequences seem identical up to a point where a request, QUERY_PATH_INFO is sent.

- Using the command line, Query file info path is \sharename\folder, and it works (STATUS_SUCCESS)

- Using finder, Query file info path is \, which triggers a STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED error.

Apparently Finder tries to browse the root path of the server, which is not accessible in my case. This is a pity since Finder is however very good at connecting at many server types using many protocols.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong in Finder?

Thanks.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2013 11:32 AM

1. Try connecting to your samba drive using Finder > Go > Connect to Server > cifs://servername
  2. If prompted enter your username/password
  3. Add mounted drives as needed
  4. This should connect your samba drive at version 1 of smb which most smb vendors support

Good Luck!

1 reply

"do not have permission to access this server" when connecting to a samba share with Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.