Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Apple Finally Fix Safari Close X Going Missing Issue?

As many are aware, Safari Tabs suffer from the X close button going missing after extensive use of the browser. I'm familiar with the two main ways to get it back ie: Force Restart, or Reset Safari. However, the issue always resurfaces at some point. Quite frankly, it makes using Safari quite annoying to say the least.

Anyone aware if Apple will in fact have a fix for this at any point in the future? It seems to be an issue that a wide number of people have suffered from.

Any ideas?

Thanks

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 7:39 AM

14 replies

Sep 26, 2014 8:18 PM in response to Allan Eckert

No it's not. It's suddenly missing on my iPad as well. In fact, it is just many of the disastrous effects of ios 8. I now have a machine- iPad 2- that feels like my lousy Asus computer running Windows 8-- everything is sluggish, odd things like sounds which used to occur no longer occur- like when plugging in power, notes load like a slug, email loads even more slowly, problems running Youtube, etc. In my opinion the whole rollout of this new system is a disaster. I can't find one new thing I like about it, and it has made me seriously reconsider whether to ever buy Apple again. All the hyperbola...for this??? Absurd. they need to get their shop in order before releasing garbage onto the market. Less money spent glorifying the technology, more time spent doing what Steve Jobs did- make it right, make it bloody simple and elegant, and get it right the first time.

Sep 27, 2014 9:21 AM in response to PJStyles

I had the same issue, but it goes deeper than that at least for me. There was no way to quit Safari when I lost the x's. Cmd Q didn't work and the Quit in the menu was all greyed out. I had to force quit from the Activity Monitor and restart Safari. Then everything is working again, at least for now. This is a definite bug with Safari, and we just have to wait for the update.

Sep 28, 2014 6:35 PM in response to Mugs52

What does an iPad have to do with a Mac? Totally different operating systems. And, that post was written over a year ago, so even if it had been about an iPad (which it is not), a year is a long time, and a lot of thing change, so the remark may have no longer been true, but it was undoubtedly true when it was written.

Have you updated to iOS 8.0.2 yet? Many iPad users are reporting that the update has fixed many of the issues introduced with iOS 8.0

Cheers,

GB

Will Apple Finally Fix Safari Close X Going Missing Issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.