Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Mountain Lion Server Calendar Server Stable?

I am running OS X Mountain Lion Server on a MacMini. It essentially runs well for file services. Recently we've begun to use the built in calendar server. I'm running into issues where periodically the calendar server just stops accepting connections. I have to stop the calendar server and restart the calendar server to get it working again.

I have upgraded all computers connecting to the calendar to OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.4.

This is a very small client site. There may be 10 people connected right now, and 20 when I finish rolling the product out.

When I called Apple support, they suggested I use a 3rd party server, which I found astonishing.

I can't find any documentation on this server component. Most people who've written about it brush over setting it up and that's about it.

I find the log for the server all but impossible to read without some form of translation.

I mean, what the heck does this mean?

2013-07-01 09:12:53-0700 [-] [mailgateway] 2013-07-01 09:12:53-0700 [Uninitialized] [twistedcaldav.mail.IMAP4DownloadFactory#error] IMAP factory connection failed

2013-07-01 09:13:23-0700 [-] [mailgateway] 2013-07-01 09:13:23-0700 [Uninitialized] [twistedcaldav.mail.IMAP4DownloadFactory#error] IMAP factory connection failed

2013-07-01 09:13:53-0700 [-] [mailgateway] 2013-07-01 09:13:53-0700 [Uninitialized] [twistedcaldav.mail.IMAP4DownloadFactory#error] IMAP factory connection failed

In any case, I would sure love someone to point me to the secret documentation source for Calendar Server under 10.8 Server, a best practices document, etc. or someone who really knows what's going on here.

I can't constantly baby sit the calendar server to make sure it's running.

Mac OS X (10.7.2), iTunes

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 9:19 AM

3 replies

Jul 8, 2013 6:43 PM in response to Marvin Price1

Marvin, I'm going through iCal server troubleshooting myself so I hear your pain.

First of all, the actual Calendar service process is caldavd. Here is the man page for it for Mountain Lion:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/ man8/caldavd.8.html

There is a great manual about iCal Server which actually explains how the nuts and bolts work. Of course, it dates back to the last time Apple actually cared about anything - Snow Leopard.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iCalServer_v10.6.pdf

I couldn't find anything equivalent for Mountain Lion. Here is the "advanced administration" guide for ML, whose concept of "advanced" would be funny if it wasn't sad:

http://help.apple.com/advancedserveradmin/mac/10.8/#apd44A9BE18-86B3-4863-A446-3 737B4FE5757

Hope these get you in the right direction. Good luck!

PS You probably picked a bad forum to post in - XServe has been dead for a while so it gets much less traffic. Try posting in Servers and Enterprise Software > OS X Server.

OS X Mountain Lion Server Calendar Server Stable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.