Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Allow user to administer this computer"

is grayed out, just bought my macbook pro yesterday and I set it up today, I only have ONE user and it is the admin user by default. I was traying to install skype and it kept saying I couldnt install it because I didnt have enough privileges. why has it gone off? when I created my account and set it up as admin I was able to check and unchek that option and it just said it needed to reboot to apply changes. but now it doesnt show up at all. It is ticked, but it is greyed out.

I have been trying to find a doable solution online but they all seem too much to do (prompts and DOS, etc)

one thing that I noticed is: if I create a new user called TEST and make that user ADMIN when I log in with the account I am having an issue with, the option is not greyed out anymore, but the moment I delete that TEST account it's back to beign greyed out.

with this account I can lock and unlock the options to modify (add/delete new users) but I cannot make that option to come back on.

Evidently, Having that option is causing a problem cause it doesnt let me customise, install or use certail apps, functions etc, so i need that resolved.

I know the easiest way it is to create a new ADMIN ID and then delete that one, but... what if it happens again?

I dont have the Mountain Lion DVD to reboot and stuff and I am not sure I want to mess up with black screen commands, etc.

any thought?

Thank you so much!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), upgraded via App store.

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 10:16 AM

You say you just got a MacBook Pro yesterday and set it up today, I guess that included upgrading to Mountian Lion via the AppStore correct?

Then this means it's a used machine and if you didn't erase the drive from the 10.6 disks or Internet Recovery it's possible there is a hidden account on the machine left by the previous owner.

Start all over again.

How to reformat a used Mac

Erase, formatting, OS X installs on Mac's

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2013 10:16 AM in response to JoshMclove

You say you just got a MacBook Pro yesterday and set it up today, I guess that included upgrading to Mountian Lion via the AppStore correct?

Then this means it's a used machine and if you didn't erase the drive from the 10.6 disks or Internet Recovery it's possible there is a hidden account on the machine left by the previous owner.

Start all over again.

How to reformat a used Mac

Erase, formatting, OS X installs on Mac's

Aug 31, 2017 6:02 PM in response to Donnaclara86

Yep I was suffering the same problem then I worked it out and it's really simply.

Just make sure you are logged out of the other administrator account.

So after you create the administrator accoun that you want, log out of all other accounts, log into the admin account and then you should be able to delet the other OR downgrade it to standard, if you wish to keep it

Jul 2, 2013 2:55 AM in response to ds store

Hi, Terribly sorry, but I really dont think the apple store would sell me an used computer. anyway the box was sealed even in it's original box that was used to ship it out from America. I ordered online to collect at store. so that wouldnt be the case. anyway. I have read enough about this issue and it's not so much of a problem.

But thanks anyway.

Jul 2, 2013 4:41 AM in response to JoshMclove

>>It is ticked, but it is greyed out

that's normal - the system wants at least one admin user, so won't let you un-tick it for the sole account.

>>Evidently, Having that option is causing a problem cause it doesnt let me customise, install or use certail apps, functions etc, so i need that resolved.

that sounds like a seperate issue - please explain further, or were those problems resolved in a new account ? .

Jul 2, 2013 5:13 AM in response to JoshMclove

JoshMclove wrote:

I really dont think the apple store would sell me an used computer.

Ok, so it's a new computer with Mountain Lion, your signature needs to be updated as it says you've upgraded to Mountain Lion which would mean it's a used machine.

I have read enough about this issue and it's not so much of a problem.

When you first setup a new Mac or a fresh install of OS X (no user accounts) the first account setup is a Admin account.

There has to be a minimal of one Admin account on the machine, other accounts created can be Standard User.

Most people use the sole account and it's a Admin, so when you went to the System Preferences > Account and tried toggling on/off you can't because there has to be one Admin account on the machine.

I was trying to install Skype and it kept saying I couldn't install it because I didn't have enough privileges.

This is a separate problem likely related to your permissions being messed up on the machine.

There are two ways to reset all permissions on a Mac.

1: Via Disk Utility (Step #11) in your Applications/Utilities folder for everything non-user account related.

2: For user account permission repair, scroll down and see Step #6 here

..Step by Step to fix your Mac

Aug 29, 2015 5:14 PM in response to JoshMclove

Turns out to be an easy fix: You need to create another account that has admin priviledges (i.e. check "allow user to administer this computer" is checked). Then you can uncheck the one in the original account.

Sys Prefs > Users & Groups

click the lock (if it's locked) > enter current admin user + passwd

click the little "+" > check "allow user to administer this computer" (this user and password will be your new admin user)

click the icon on the account you wanted to change > uncheck "allow user to adminster this computer"

Jeff

Allow user to administer this computer"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.