Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2011 Macbook Pro shuts off after 10 seconds unless buttons are pressed. Oh, and mashing the keyboard powers it on.

Hello!

My early 2011 15'' macbook pro will constantly shut off by itself after just 10 seconds UNLESS a button on the keyboard is constantly pressed.

If I tap a key on the keyboard every couple of seconds the laptop will stay on and funtion as if nothing is wrong, but as soon as I stop pressing a key it will power down without any messages after 10 seconds or so. This happens if it is plugged in or running on battery (the battery has just recently been replaced and this was happening before as well).

I can also only startup the computer if holding down contorl-command-shift-esc + power button. OR if I have the power cable plugged in I can turn on the machine by just "swiping" my hand over the keypad WITHOUT pressing the power button. I just mash all the keys with my hand from one side to the other and BAM it turns on. For 10 seconds. And no, the keyboard mashing technique does not work with the computer unplugged and running on battery only. Oh, and I just had it unplugged for a couple of minutes and I just hit the power button ONLY with the cable unplugged and it started up fine. But again, only for 10 seconds.

Also, this was happening a year ago with the exact same symptoms. I grew frustrated and set the laptop down in my closet for a few weeks. After not using it for weeks I went back and turned it on - everything worked fine, no more automatic shut offs. It worked for a year+ without any problems.

Now this is happening again and I am at my wit's end. This problem just doesn't make any sense to me - I've tried narrowing it down but the symptoms seems to be unique to my issue (at least after searching here and google for months).

I would be thankful for any advice.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 12:17 PM

Oh, and I have reset the nvram dozens of times by now to no avail.

6 replies

Jul 16, 2013 9:34 AM in response to brhoge

Hmm i think i have a similar problem with my brand new macbook pro

Mine is showing the shutdown window as if you pressed the button and if you don't hit cancel it dies. And when you reopen it opens as it crashed before.

It does this randomly. And sometimes very annoyingly very frequently. I tried to get help from phone but they said they don't have a listing for this problem. If I can find out something I'll share with you.

May 3, 2014 1:37 AM in response to brhoge

I have the same problem. I have a white macbook 2010, with mavericks os. I just found my mac not powering on and then I tried to run it on safe mode by holding the shift button but it will turn off seconds after I let go of the shift button. I am able to access the desktop and use it while holding the shift button the whole time. It's a bit slower than before but I figured maybe it's because of holding down shift button.

I went to the Apple Store to have them look at my mac and I was told it's a failed hard disk. I wasn't told why he was able to conclude that a failed hard disk is causing the problem, I was just told to get a replacement. But the thing is when I ran Disk Utility it says, "disk appears to be okay." So I also feel like it's possible it's not a hard disk issue because it's also the first time it happened. My mac was working perfectly fine before all this.

Do you know anything else that could cause this problem? Were you able to find out what's wrong?

Thanks.

Aug 4, 2015 4:15 PM in response to brhoge

Hello everyone, i see this is a much more common problem than i thought, well i got the problem that my 2010 mac book shuts down unless i press some key on the keyboard and have it pressed. I opened the mac book, and found a connector, i think its the keyboard one, a square like one. i disconnected it, the computer became noisier and the keyboard and trackpad does not work, but with an external keyboard and mouse it does, works perfect. I would love to fix or replace the keyboard but it is expensive and a rare thing to get in my country, i know this does not solve the problem , but it may help someone.

if anyone wants a pic of the internal connector tell me.

cheers

Early 2011 Macbook Pro shuts off after 10 seconds unless buttons are pressed. Oh, and mashing the keyboard powers it on.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.