Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad Static in Audio when Apple TV left on for an extended period of time

Hey,

I have installed several Apple TV's around my "Establishment". Because the Amps i have installed, we are unable to use the Digital Audio straight into the amp. So i have used a combination of DAC's in some rooms and the Analog Output function of our Sharp Monitors when inputting HDMI in others. It seems that if i leave these apple tv's for an extended period of time, when i come back to them and play audio the audio has a terrible static noise attached too it. It seems the only way to get rid of the noise is to restart the Apple TV. I cant imagine its a cable issue because its happening on so many of the Apple TV's. Would a software update solve this kind of issue? Sorry for the vague description.

Any help would be great.

AppleTV 2

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 12:55 PM

6 replies

Jul 1, 2013 7:18 PM in response to wadeshuttleworth

wow sounds like you've got even a more complex audio set up than me (I've got 18 devices connected to one my receivers, 2 of them ATVs but doubt I've run them longer than about 5hrs at a time.)

Not sure what you mean by software update (on your computer? on ATV?) If ATV, why not give it a try on one unit. There was one version of firmware that had some audio problems some time ago.

I'm not surprised the analog output function doesn't work - I'm surprised copy protection doesn't kill the connection completely.

As to the others: Just some unhelpful guesses - that nonetheless might help you troubleshoot:

maybe they're overheating, these things aren't really designed for continued/commercial use (although it's odd that a restart works). Of course all the rerouting of audio signals is asking for trouble.

Are there Cable TV connections nearby: these wreaked havoc on my Amp until I had the cable company add a some kind of noise-canceling thingmajigee (too long ago to remember the name but it was specific to cable rf).

Could the problem be over-taxing your router? Have you tried turning off your router, then restarting it? (I understand these can build up static over time - am clueless as to whether this would cause audio static, but who knows.

Good luck, would really like to hear if you find a solution.

Jul 3, 2013 4:06 PM in response to Alix Leigh

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply.

I think I narrowed the situation down even more.

I think there are three situations that occuring which has been confusing me.

1st - The units could possibly be overheating and causing the static audio, because once a reset it done the static goes away.

2nd- The DAC is bad quality so that when the unit goes to sleep it still gives off a small amount if static noice.

3rd - The wierdest of them all. Because it only happens in the rooms which the apple tv uses a ROTEL processor to switch its HDMI "VIDEO" output and switch the analog audio output. The Amp has been set up to pull the video from the hdmi and the audio from the analog inputs. But i think for some reason the video which i downloaded from iTunes sends a bad static audio to the amp. This same video watched in the same way does not do this with normal amps that dont use the a Rotel to process the video.

Let me mention again that this issue only happens with one type of amp (the one that also switches video) and with purchased movies from itunes. If you change the room(ie: type of amp) the problem goes away or if you change the video (home video on iphone or mac) the problem goes away.

Am i making any sense?

Thanks again

Jul 4, 2013 7:29 AM in response to wadeshuttleworth

wades....

IF it were me I'd start by narrowing down everything down. There are way too many unorthodoxies here to get to the root of the problem or "problems". FIRST unplug the one(s) going to the ROTEL. I'd also disconnect the one using "Analog Output function of our Sharp "

Get yourself down to one Apple TV or you'll never get to the bottom of this.

Further, I'd try outputting audio via Optical audio port, then using an optical audio(at ATV) to RCA (stereo analog) converter or cable.

Some things to check:

Is the cabling (in particular any analog cables) touching other cables, electrical lines etc. (this is OFTEN the source of noise.)

Are there microwaves about (these will cause network interference).

Also, I'm curious how long you mean when you say "an extended period of time" How long are you referring to... I generally only run my ATV for a couple hours at a time, but I'm sure I've used it for 6-7 hours on occasion without issue.

To comment on your suspicions: Responding by number:

1. this could certainly be true (just like any piece of AV equipment) although I don't know about static coming as a result of of heat.. Are the units enclosed in a cabinet (and if so, is there a fair amount of space around them). The main reason I'd suspect this is that the problem doesn't exist until they've been on for awhile. But I wouldn't expect it to go away immediately on restart.

2. a bad DAC could certainly be a problem. (is there just one, that all are routed to? or do you have the same brand for each.

3. This easily be a copy-protection issue or an Amp issue.

COPY PROTECTION: As I assume you know HDMI was not designed for our convenience but as means of copy protection. In switching the HDMI audio signal to analog you are unintentionally attempting to override this protection. If any device in the chain doesn't like whats going on static would likely be the result. Further the software and it's multiple versions can conflict. This has not been as true of late but anything prior to v1.3 is suspect. The only reason NOT to suspect copy protection issues is that the problem doesn't rear it's head immediately. You mentioned iTunes downloads - these are copy protected. Try testing with some non-DRM vids: try some of the other av options in the menu.

Let me mention again that this issue only happens with one type of amp (the one that also switches video) and with purchased movies from itunes

Statement above would make me suspect copy-protection problems. If so, going optical audio -> analog might eliminate the issue.

AMP ISSUES: noise is a very commpon problem with amps, my sense is that they're more susceptible than other devices - but I'd expect noise issues to occur sooner (bear in mind I'm no pro on the issue the only time I had an issue: the culprit was cable TV interference) If it comes down to this, try the AVSforums - folks there would have good tips on noise canceling.

I'm afraid you've designed an [overly]complex setup. You really need to go back to square one with 1 ATV. Get that working then go from there.

Good luck.

Jul 4, 2013 12:32 PM in response to Alix Leigh

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the reply.

This ended up solving my problem 3.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3518

But i know there must be something else i can do about it.

I will look at possibly updating the firmware on the Amp because these amps were purchased when HDMI was very new.

Will let you know if i get to the bottom of it.

Problem 1 - Because of the guests i have using the ATV's I have set the sleep to NEVER, therefore i think these units just get warm and muddled up. I will set that to something less like 5hrs and see if it helps the issue.

Problem 2 - I am still working on.

Thanks again.

Bad Static in Audio when Apple TV left on for an extended period of time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.