Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crazy long upload from Aperture to Apple Books

I have been stuck uploading a 90 page book to Apple books from a file I built in Aperture fo almost 24 hours! (Running on an older 17" mac book pro). I have made these in the past (also about 90 pages) and had to wait no where near as long. Nothing seems to be awry with my Airport wifi and internet connections. Speedy quick on the other devices attached to it. Anyone have any thoughts? (I have tried a few times already and it starts over each time, so I have left it go this time for way too long.

D

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 6:09 AM

Did you preview your order, before you tried to buy it?

See: iPhoto, Aperture: Previewing an order in iPhoto or Aperture

Can Aperture create a pdf version of the book, or does it also hang when trying to preview the book?

If the preview cannot be generated, the book may be containing a corrupted image file or your Aperture library may need repairing.

The upload can take a long time - I have waited sometimes several hours for an upload to finish. Also a firewall or antivirus software may be preventing the access to the store. Is the region in your

System Preferences > Language & Text > Region

set to the country you are in and to the the country of the store you want to order from?

Regards

Léonie

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2013 6:09 AM in response to nucleusww

Did you preview your order, before you tried to buy it?

See: iPhoto, Aperture: Previewing an order in iPhoto or Aperture

Can Aperture create a pdf version of the book, or does it also hang when trying to preview the book?

If the preview cannot be generated, the book may be containing a corrupted image file or your Aperture library may need repairing.

The upload can take a long time - I have waited sometimes several hours for an upload to finish. Also a firewall or antivirus software may be preventing the access to the store. Is the region in your

System Preferences > Language & Text > Region

set to the country you are in and to the the country of the store you want to order from?

Regards

Léonie

Jul 2, 2013 9:17 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for your reply Léonie,

Yes it does generate the PDF proof. (I wish Apple had the same "thermometer" progress bar for uloading as they used for the PDF. It's nice to know if there is any progress. The upload is so blind!) After the 24 hour attempt, I did read up what I could in Apple's troubleshooting, and I rebuilt the library, which did have the region selection as one of the steps, so yes, I have selected the correct region. I just left it overnight again last night, to no avail. Interestingly, I used a direct ethernet connection rather than my WiFi to see if that helped. (No) When I tried to pause the upload (which had worked before) it wouldn't stop. (The little spinning wheel next to "Upload Progress" kept spinning. So I pulled the ethernet out and it kept spinning still. (No WIFi, or direct connection.) So it seems like it was never sending anything at all. (?)

Thanks in advance for any more thoughts you might have,

D

Jul 2, 2013 9:52 AM in response to nucleusww

So I pulled the ethernet out and it kept spinning still. (No WIFi, or direct connection.

That looks like something were blocking your upload -

I asked before - do you have any firewalls or antivirus software, like Little Snitch for example? Then disable it while trying to upload.

Check, if there is any network traffic with the Network Utility: (in Applications > Utilities)

User uploaded file

and open the Console and look for diagnostic messages.

Jul 4, 2013 9:33 AM in response to léonie

Thanks LionieDF, I've spent days messing around with this after you pointed me to the Console, and turns out it wasn't Aperture. It not the Firewall. It's not my Wifi. It's not my ISP. (I was able to send the photo book off on the same network using a different MBP.) Speakeasy.net speed tests show 25 mbps down and .99 mbps up on my network. But when I run the same test on my older MBP, the download test runs fine at similar speeds. The upload test hangs up and eventually fails. Everytime. Firewall on or off. Doesn't matter. Email come and goes with no problems. have any thoughts on what else could be causing this?

Best,

D

Jul 4, 2013 12:03 PM in response to nucleusww

Your book is already in print now, yes?

If you could print your book from a different mac, your Aperture library is obviously o.k.

You could try to check, if settings in your account are problematic or your rMBP has a system wide problem.

Try to upload your book from a different user account on your rMBP. If that succeeds, you will know, that preference settings or start-up items in your main user account are interfering.

Then proceed to remove your user preferences from your user library

Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics

If you cannot upload, even from a different user account, reinstall Aperture or your MacOS X.

Crazy long upload from Aperture to Apple Books

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.