Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I did a iTunes backup, put it on an external drive. Formatted my Mac and now when i want to import all my music everything is just weird documents. I cant import anything. Wheres my music?

I cant find my music!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 3:12 PM

2 replies

Jul 3, 2013 11:23 AM in response to elprincipe22

Hey elprincipe22,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! If you backed up your iTunes library by copying to an external hard drive, follow these directions to restore the backup:

Restoring your iTunes Library backup

When you need to restore your backed up iTunes Library from your external hard drive to your computer, follow these steps:

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Locate your external hard drive.
    Mac: On the Desktop or Finder sidebar.
    Windows: In My Computer
  3. Drag the iTunes folder (backed up earlier) from your external hard drive to whatever location you desire on your internal hard drive. It is recommended that you choose the default location for the iTunes folder, which is:
    Mac OS X: /Users/username/Music
    Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\Windows Vista: \Users\username\My Music\Windows 7 or 8:\Users\username\Music\
  4. Open iTunes while holding down the Option key (Mac) or Shift key (Windows).
  5. In the resulting dialog, click the Choose Library button.
    User uploaded file
  6. Select the iTunes folder you just moved to the internal hard drive.
  7. Click Choose (Mac OS X) or Open (Windows) and then choose the iTunes Library file inside .

After following these steps, iTunes will open and your iTunes Library will be restored.

via:

iTunes: Back up your iTunes library by copying to an external hard drive

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1751

Cheers,

David

I did a iTunes backup, put it on an external drive. Formatted my Mac and now when i want to import all my music everything is just weird documents. I cant import anything. Wheres my music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.