Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is causing the glitch in my screen?

User uploaded file

My computer has started doing this strange thing where suddenly pieces of all of the tabs/programs I have open make a patchwork on my desktop. At first it was only doing this when skype was open (I can talk for 10-15 minutes before my call is dropped and this glitch happens) Sometimes patches of other tabs show up on my desktop and I can still use my computer and click on desktop files, and other times I have to completely reboot my macbook.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2008 Macbook

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 5:24 PM

6 replies

Jul 4, 2013 6:09 AM in response to cha89

Hello Cha89,

I suggest a couple things. First reset your PRAM using this article.

About NVRAM and PRAM

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Resetting NVRAM / PRAM

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM or PRAM, you may need to reconfigure your settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information. If issues persist, your Mac's logic board battery (not a portable Mac's rechargeable battery) may need to be replaced. The logic board battery helps retain NVRAM/PRAM settings when your computer is shut down. You can take your Mac to a Mac Genius or Apple Authorized Service Provider to replace the battery on the logic board.

If that does not resolve your issue, then reset your SMC with this article:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove

Note: Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Regards,

Sterling

Sep 22, 2015 9:50 PM in response to cha89

you won't like this from the pics I just seen I can say this is a hardwhere problem the video chip needs to be resolderd the logic board you need to take it to be repaired or get a new Mac or replace the logic board hate to say that,but I seen this in an old iBook I had I could push on the video chip and it would be normal but it needed to be resolderd to permitly fix it I ended up just getting a new logic board for it in the end

Oct 17, 2015 9:25 PM in response to komododragon

I Tried starting it a couple of hours ago and it still had the distorted lines and all that, but after a minute or so while booting it was fixed and returned to normal for about 30-45 minutes so i assumed it has something to do with the GPU overheating and it wasn't completely fried just yet (grasping straws over here).

i went out and (1) bought a tube of thermal paste, (2) opened up my macbook, (3) disassembled it and took the logic board out, (4) removed the heatsink, (5) cleaned the old paste from the heatsink and the processors, (6) reapplied a new layer of the paste.

put everything back turned it on and after a few seconds it booted and its fixed going on my second hour now.

on a side note the effect returned after the display went to sleep, I rebooted and it was fixed again.

Oct 20, 2015 8:36 PM in response to cha89

OK now I know what exactly is the problem and it turned out to be the screen not the GPU, twisting the screen to the left or right while applying slight pressure fixes it. If anyone has an idea on why did this happen or how to permanently fix it please share.

and i didnt drop or hit the laptop for something like this happen it just did it on its own.

What is causing the glitch in my screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.