Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did any existing features change/disappear with latest update?

Specifically: does YouTube work as in the past?

Are Video PLAYLISTS still available?

and yes I'm paranoid.

Apple TV

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 1:25 AM

If you're wondering whether to allow the software update, I'd hold off if I were you. Some of us are having trouble connecting to our wifi after updating to the new version. Wish I'd kept the old version.

8 replies

Jul 2, 2013 3:19 PM in response to Alix Leigh

You should be fine updating.

Remember this community is like a hospital, healthy people don't usually attend. Those that have issues with updates, do so in the majority of cases because there was already an underlying issue on their device to begin with, there is only a small number of such people, it's just they all come here and post.

Jul 2, 2013 3:25 PM in response to Alix Leigh

I lost my recent YouTube history on AppleTV (don't have a YouTube account).

I don't update unless I want/need to. I accidentally updated an AppleTV 2 that was on much older software and it's fine. I had to restart iTunes to get it to see Home Sharing again when I moved it from one room to another.

One of two AppleTV 3's has updated fine too.

AC

Jul 2, 2013 5:08 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill wrote:

You should be fine updating.

Remember this community is like a hospital, healthy people don't usually attend.

I agree completely, the day will never come that we see posts saying "woke up this morning my Apple TV and my ATV was working just fine. How about you?" But I do appreciate folks frustration when things go wrong following an update. Like any firmware update, It's the inability to step backwards that make it unnerving. However, having browsed this forum, I'd say that were surprisingly few problems so it appears to be a pretty stable update.

That's why my question wasn't "did the update mess u up". But rather, has Apple removed or changed any previously existing features. This does happen from time to time and unfortunately Apple is hardly transparent about this.

For example one update, made it impossible for me to view photos which weren't stored physically inside my iPhoto library on my ATV, necessitating hours of work . An iPad update, removed the ability to view song lyrics.

We all use ATV differently. For me, the most important thing is Video Playlists (something also removed from the iPad without warning - so I remain paranoid) I have well over hundred Excercise vids which I use daily. they are simply unmanageble without playlists. The last update in fact appeared to have removed this feature by disabling it in a pref (buried under audio/video which BY DEFAULT turned them off) fortunately one day I ran into this by accident. I almost wonder if they did this to see if there was any outrage (there was not so in the long run, I fear the worst).

It is for this reason, I wait for a bit before updating, rudely letting others do the testing. I'd like to add the HBOGo feature, but not if it means losing Video Playlists or YouTube.

All this is to say, that I need to post a more limited topic or more likely just call Apple.

Did any existing features change/disappear with latest update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.