Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps not syncing back to iTunes

Hello,

I use the latest version of iTunes and sync it with my iPhone 4S(also running the latest version of the OS). I sync with iClouds and now the apps that I buy from my iPhone wont transfer onto my iTunes as it used to during the sync. Nor the old apps which exist in my iTunes update when I sync my iPhone after updating my apps via my phone. I even tried to use the "Check for available downloads in the iTunes store" option but it says there are no available downloads for your apple ID. I need to sort this out asap guys. Thank you in advance.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3, Mac OS X Mountain Lion (Latest)

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 8:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 9:14 PM

Are you selecting sync from the Apps tab, in iTunes? Try this article and see if this helps.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1296

13 replies

Jul 5, 2013 1:59 PM in response to Advisor Alex

I just read your issue over again, what your gonna wanna do to transfer your purchases to your iTunes library. Syncing means moving the content from your iTunes library to your phone. If you want to move all of your purchased music, and applications you are going to want to transfer your purchases to your iTunes library. Follow this article if you want to transfer your purchases.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1848

Sep 18, 2013 2:05 PM in response to iAwwad

BUMP! This is also happening to me. I already did File>Devices>Transfer Purchases and still, when I am trying to update to iOS7, it says, "There are purchased items on the iPhone “______ iPhone” that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. You should transfer these items to your iTunes library before updating this iPhone. Are you sure you want to continue?"

What is going on?? Am I going to have manually re-download all my apps?

Sep 23, 2013 1:21 PM in response to Mani V K

BUMPx2! Same problem here. Would like to upgrade to iOS7, but with the latest version of iTunes, my iPhone4 apps are not syncing, copying, reading over, whatever the vernacular of the day is, to my PC. Sorry Apple, but I use a PC - with all it's ills and problems. Too costly to convert after a bazillion years. I have meticulously tried the above suggestions (adapting the steps for Windows-based OS), all to no avail. So, can someone please tell us how to get iPhone apps to copy, sync, whatever, to the computer using the latest iTines software? This process shouldn't be this difficult.

Cheers,

Jeff

Nov 14, 2013 12:48 AM in response to Mani V K

Have you tried going to preferences and checking 'apps' under where it says 'automatic downloads'?

For Mac it's located under itunes>preferences>store tab.

I believe checking this option should automatically download any purchases made from your ios device, to your itunes. (I just discovered this option after searching online so I haven't tested it yet, and can't at the moment.) I think I remember this option being there before, but I thought it was a precaution... to download the purchased app immediately, just in case your device is lost before you get a chance to sync. Now I guess it's the only way to automatically transfer (or download) new apps from your ios device to your itunes. ??

Along that note, there is the 'music' check box next to 'apps'. Does that mean you have to check 'music' as well if you want music purchases from your ios device to sync back to itunes? I thought for sure, music purchases on an ios device would transfer back to itunes during the regular itunes/ios sync.

Anyway this is really weird, because I'm almost positive apps used to sync along with music and everything else during normal sync (including app updates). I guess for some reason Apple decided to change this?

This is all very confusing, Apple. Whatever happened to "It just works"??

Mar 13, 2014 1:31 PM in response to Mani V K

Had this problem too. In frustration I tried "manual" sync and a window came up "not all apps downloaded and do you want to download now" ( or something close to that) and I clicked on "yes" and low and behold all 11 of my apps purchased since October 2013 ( now March 2014) downloaded to itunes. Hope this is a premanent fix.

Why manual sync asks to down load apps and auto sync dosent I dont know. ????

Dec 6, 2015 7:58 AM in response to Mani V K

I know this post is old, but it was the first link to show up in google search last night. I had a similar issue. I followed the instructions from "Advisor Alex." I couldn't see the apps listed. I unintstalled/reinstalled iTunes 3x, activated/deactivated my account 3x, signed in/out +3x, everytime I restarted my phone and still could not see my apps. I spent 4+ hours last night trying to get it to work. I woke up this morning to see if anything changed. Turns out I did not scroll down all the way when I was in iTunes. I know it seems simple, but sometimes you gotta K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid).

Feb 15, 2016 8:05 AM in response to Mani V K

So I just encountered this for the first time myself. As generally seen in my past experiences, Apple support (and Apple geeks) are pretty useless about answering things like this.

Here's what I found.

This is something Apple's discontinued. The reason why it's been discontinued is because Apple's designed something for developers called App Thinning. App Thinning allows for a developer to write an application for all XXX number of apple devices, and publish this in the App Store. When the App is downloaded to a specific device, only the necessary code is used**. (In other words, a downloaded app for an iPad might not necessarily use the same code and resources that would be seen on an iPhone)

Thus, on the reverse end, it wouldn't be feasible to "transfer" downloaded apps from a set of devices back into iTunes because you'd have multiple versions and multiple copies of the same app on a computer. (Be it PC or Mac). Apple's solution from this point forward appears to be "re-download it from the App store if you want it back".

What you CAN do though is download the master binaries to your Mac or PC direct from the Apple Store using iTunes. It would appear that when you do this, you're downloading the "agnostic copy" of the app which would contain all of the binary data you'd need to install the app on any set of devices.

** haven't found any hard evidence confirming that there's a variation of what's downloaded to each device. So I would theorize It's possible that the app is parsed during the install process.

My source:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/206544/cant-transfer-purchases-from-iph one-to-itunes-in-ios-9

Apps not syncing back to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.