Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck in 'Processing' after rebuild

I have a 140k image library. I moved to Aperture because Apple advised me that iPhoto wasn't built to handle large libraries and I should move to Aperture.

I only have about 110k images, the rest are duplicates because the iPhoto to Aperture conversion didn't complete fully and I had to import directly form an export - where all the 'versions' became their own images. But the duplication I can handle - I am on the ready with 'Duplicate Annihilator'

The real problem is that Aperture keeps going into a 'Processing' state

I have done several rebuilds after realizing that 'repair' wasn't cutting it.

The rebuild takes 4 hours where it reports # versions restored

After this - it is stuck in 'Procesing; - and I have left it for 24 hrs - and I don't think it is doing anything. Even 'Show Status Cmd-Shift-0 doesn't respond

In Aperture, I moved all my events to 'referenced' - Not wanting to be in 'Managed' mode as was iPhoto

Any pointers - ? Is there any way I can see if anything is moving within 'Processing'. Activity Monitor is pretty uneventful during this state

I have to Force Quit it - This is after a 'Rebuild ' !! From all my research - A rebuild is supposed to fix everything !

iMac 3.2 GHz 12 Gb RAM

Aperture 3.4.5

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 12 Gb RAM

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 11:18 PM

10 replies

Jul 1, 2013 11:40 PM in response to switchr

110k images

Don't be impatient - let Aperture run. For such a large library the rebuild may take several days, no kidding - and the progress bar is unreliable, also the "not responding" in the "Force Quit" panel.

I have to Force Quit it - This is after a 'Rebuild ' !! From all my research - A rebuild is supposed to fix everything !

Don't force quit only after a few hours - you will not get anywhere this way, only corrupt the library more.

Does the CPU time for Aperture increase slightly in Process Monitor, if you watch it for a few hours?

Léonie

Jul 2, 2013 7:43 AM in response to léonie

Thanks Léonie

I let it run for 4 days once and it sounded like my hard disk/fan was unhappy (may have been my imagination) . I had turned off sleep/suspend when this run

I guess I just couldn't tell if it was stuck on an image (like others have noted) or if it was working and just going to take days. Currently, I am letting it run. There must be a certain # days I will have to make a call whether it works or not !

Jul 3, 2013 7:56 AM in response to léonie

So, the CPU time has been increasing - Its been running for 2 days

However, isn't it likely it si not really doing anything significant with my library - and instead, the CPU ticks are for baseline Aperture functions

How are people able to determine it is stuck processing the same image ?

Is there a way to tell what image is currently being processed ?

Jul 3, 2013 8:57 AM in response to switchr

The rebuild takes 4 hours where it reports # versions restored

After this - it is stuck in 'Procesing; - and I have left it for 24 hrs - and I don't think it is doing anything. Even 'Show Status Cmd-Shift-0 doesn't respond

In Aperture, I moved all my events to 'referenced' - Not wanting to be in 'Managed' mode as was iPhoto

More than two days, that is close to the longest processing time I have seen reported here.

If your library is truck on processing a corrupted image file after rebuilding, you could try to relauch Aperture with the shift-key held down. This will defer the generation of previews, and you should be able to open the Activity Window ⇧⌘0.

Now select the images from half of your projects and run the command "Photos > Update previews".

Watch the Activity viewer for the names of the files that are being processed and see, if any tasks are hanging.

Jul 3, 2013 10:02 AM in response to switchr

You're going to need to explain this

I only have about 110k images, the rest are duplicates because the iPhoto to Aperture conversion didn't complete fully and I had to import directly form an export - where all the 'versions' became their own images.

What iPhoto to Aperture conversion are we talking about? What version of iPhoto? Where did the original Aperture library come from?

Is the hang happening in the rebuild or is the rebuild finishing and the hang happens when you try to open the library normally?

Jul 3, 2013 3:38 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

I had iPhoto and once my library was too large,I purchased the update to the latest iPhoto version last month . When I opened my library in the latest version - it 'upgraded' my library - and the upgraded format is dual-operable in iPhoto & Aperture

I purchased Aperture and opened the iPhoto Library in Aperture.

So, I have a library that can be opened in both programs, but I am primarily using Aperture now

The rebuild 'completes' in 4 hours- as in the # version restored runs from 1 to 144662 , then displays 'Processing' and stays in that state. I can't even launch the Process Monitor within Aperture at that point.

Jul 4, 2013 2:39 AM in response to switchr

Correct. Am happy to set aside problem images if I only knew which ones. Hopefully not too many .

Try to render previews by manually selecting sets of images, after launching Aperture with the Shift-key held down. You can do it systematically by trying half of the images at a time, see:

How to Screen an Aperture Library for Corrupted Image Files or Videos

Stuck in 'Processing' after rebuild

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.