Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set preferred Wi-Fi network in my preferred order on iOS6

My iPhone is running iOS6.1.3. It has approved connection to two nearby Wi-Fi networks. But it too often connects to the less preferred Wi-Fi network, instead of the most preferred one.

Is there a way to set the preference order of Wi-Fi networks for my iPhone on iOS 6, like a Mac on OS X 10.8?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 10:59 PM

48 replies

Mar 19, 2017 1:23 AM in response to Ivan H

I have two wifi signals from my router. I could not figure out how to use the faster 5G signal.

Answer (iPhone 6s):

1) click settings

2) Click Wi-Fi

3) Click the "information" button network you DO NOT wish to use ( information button = letter "i" with a blue circle around it)

4) at the top click 'Forget This Device"

your iPhone will now automatically connect to the faster router signal

Cyber Apple

Mar 19, 2017 6:17 AM in response to Cyber Apple

That is not what has been asked. It was about have a preference order.

In my case I have an OSMO camera which I manage from my iPhone via WiFi

I want it in the first place of preference. Each time I turn it on I want the iPhone reconnects to the OSMO.

And when it is turned off, second or whatever is next available in the list will be connected and so on.

Jul 9, 2017 12:44 PM in response to Daniel Stonek

Hi Daniel,

I have managed to get around the issue by pairing my device to each ssid in reverse order. Let me explain a little better. I have 3 ssid available in my house to select from.

1. Aquarium light controller

2. 5GHz channel on router

3. 2.4 Ghz channel on router

I disassociated all the paired networks and added them again one by one, making sure that I installed the least required first, then the 2, required, followed by the favoured network.

I paired the Aquarium light controller first, followed by the 2.4GHz channel, then finally the 5GHz.

You will now see that when you turn your wifi off and on again the favoured (last paired) network will now be the default.

Jul 1, 2013 11:12 PM in response to Ivan H

Not sure if this will work but choose to forget B and then join A and after that when B is available join that network and see if that makes a difference. Other than that I am not sure what to suggest That might allow you to join A in preference to B when both are available but if they are both available when you are in room B I cannot see how the phone can be made to join B instead of A. The phone is smart but has no way of knowing which room you are in.

Jan 16, 2014 12:20 AM in response to Ivan H

Same problem here on iOS7. I connect to free Wifi when I'm out and about, which is provided through my mobile and cable companies. When I'm at home, I only want to connect to my home Wifi (e.g. to connect to my Apple TV), but iOS7 always chooses a nearby free provider instead.

What's strange is that the networks it connects to inevitably have a weaker signal than my home network. I have tried naming my wifi SSID to something that starts with an alphanumerically lower character, but this hasn't helped.

Feb 4, 2014 3:36 PM in response to m0thr4

From iOS 7.x (where x is still unknown today), swipe up to open the Control Centre, tap the WiFi button, you can turn WiFi On or Off, and you can wish to see a list of available WiFi network to choose from and stay connected on your preferred WiFi network chosen manually as wish, one day.

Want it happened fast? "Like" this message, tap the button "This helped me", and send the link to www.apple.com/feedback.

Set preferred Wi-Fi network in my preferred order on iOS6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.