Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the format of a video on my mac for iMovie?

I have a bunch of short video clips, some transferred over to iMovie without a problem but other videos aren't tranferring due to the file type. How can I go about formatting the video so it will be compatible with iMovie?

Mac Pro, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 8:00 AM

8 replies

Jul 3, 2013 12:22 AM in response to Paul Brook

Paul Brook wrote:

Or Handbrake. …

That is the worst choice:

HB is meant as a DVD>>h264 converter.

Which it does perfectly.

iMovies preferred format is appleintermediatecodec - which Klaus' recommendation MpegStreamclip delivers.

HB by default creates chapter-tracks - which makes it for iMovie impossible to read such files.

HB converts to h264 - which isn't meant for editing.

HB 'converts' mts (=h264) into h264 = multiplying loss effects

HB converts into a format, iMovie has to transcode again, to make it editable.

........ no, I'm no fan of HB as 'converter' 😉

Jul 3, 2013 12:40 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

I bow to your superior technical knowledge 😉

It's just that I've found MPEGStreamclip fussy about what video files it will convert.

I've had some joy with the Smart Converter App in the Mac Store.

Perhaps it would help if the OP tells us what file types they are wanting to convert. If it's just avi, then yes, I've found MPEGStreamClip very useful for that. I can't recall whether it handles m2ts though, which is a common type used in camcorders/digital cameras.

Jul 3, 2013 1:09 AM in response to Paul Brook

Paul Brook wrote:

… Perhaps it would help if the OP tells us what file types they are wanting to convert. …

indeed, that should be step #1.-

but … 😉

Problem with 'types' or 'formats' is: people do mix containers (or media wrappers) with codecs,

You mentioned avi - that's no format, just a wrapper. could contain, e.g. a dv-encoded video = all easy; could contain some propitaire CanopusDV = absolutely NoGo on Mac; could contain h264/30fps - go; could contain h264/60fps - nogo.

etc etc-

therefore .........

Apple likes it convenient. Or, say, simple.

so, iMovie is meant BY CONCEPT for camcorders.

... and most/all camcorder 'formats' are supported; connect a camera, and some smart import/conversion routines are automatically triggered.

the same mts 'orphanized' as a 'file' is impossible to be read by iMovie, but fully compatible, if from an intact AVCHD structure.

…I bow to your superior technical knowledge 😉

… just bitter sweet experience 😁

not needed, if iM used as intended.

needed, when abusing the app .....

iMovie is no 'edits all moving images app'.-

happy movie making! 🙂

Jul 3, 2013 2:51 PM in response to houdiniFr

Are you sure it works with iMovie 11?

AVCCAM Importer:

https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/dload/avccam_impt/agree_e.htm

It is intended for import of AVCCAM files into Final Cut Pro 7 (but not FCPX) without the need to convert the files to ProRES422 files, and enables AVCHD .mts files to be played back in Quicktime Player, but only works with certain Mac computers:

http://www.panasonic-broadcast.eu/cms_downloads/en/news/2011_02_22_avvcamimporte r-worldwide_Europe.pdf

and can be downloaded from here:

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/download/index.html

How do I change the format of a video on my mac for iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.