Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CPU keeps overheating

For the past several weeks the CPU on my MacBook Pro has been overheating that the fan is running very loudly. I've checked iStat on the Dashboard and have seen the temperature go up to 150 - 190 degrees while the fan is running.

Now, I'm running a lot on my MacBook. A few Safari windows, Excel for Mac, and Mail are all that is open.

I've taken off my Speck snap case, cleaned and wiped down the computer, restarted it; but it's still overheating at least once a day.

Any thoughts? Is there something I'm missing?

I'm pretty gentle with my MacBook. I'm the only one who uses it. - I have a 2011 MacBook Pro. Its running OSX 10.8.4 with Intel Core i5.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, Early 2011

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 8:57 AM

8 replies

Jul 3, 2013 12:32 PM in response to pghkatrina

pghkatrina wrote:

From what I'm seeing this is supposed to control the fan speed - correct? What would be the best/correct one?

I know that the temperature was getting too hot, but really wouldn't know much about that... 😕

In addition to the "Default" setting, which is whatever Apple thinks is OK for temperature vs fan speed, you can create additional custom fan speeds which you can choose from the pull-down menu instead of Apple's Default. What's important to realize is that all you're setting is the lowest fan speed when the computer is running. If it begins to heat up to the point that, even in Apple's design, more ventilation is needed, the fan will still speed up. And since the smcFanControl menu shows both the fan speed and a temperature, it's easy to monitor.

As to which speed is best, the speed would depend on what you're currently doing and the heat that generates. Moreover, you can try different speeds to see what gives an operating temperature you're comfortable with in given situations and then save them as a variety of your custom settings, choosing them as needed.

Jul 3, 2013 1:07 PM in response to pghkatrina

The temperatures shown on the iStat pro display are on the high side but within acceptable levels for the activity being performed. The operating environment such as room temperature can have an effect on the internal temperatures as well as how the MBP is positioned to allow air to flow freely around it.

I would open the MBP and examine if there is any accumulation of any dust or dirt inside. If so clean it out. The fan is a popular place for contaminant build up. If nothing is found, then for peace of mind you may have an Apple store genius bar technician look at it. There is no charge for that.

I personally do not favor user fan controllers. I have faith in the Apple engineers designing an adequate cooling system. Others have differing thoughts on this.

Ciao.

CPU keeps overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.