Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my built-in camera choppy?

Hello,

I am using a 13' Macbook Pro (Mid 2010) with OS X 10.7.5 and I am having trouble with my built in camera. Whenever I bring up a program such as Photobooth, Quicktime, Face Time, and iMovie and attempt to record a video I notice that my camera is very choppy. Before I even begin to record my video I notice that my movements are very blocky like frames are being skipped. I thought it was just during the capture process but when I played the video back it was still very choppy. Can anyone help me?

Anything will be much appreciated!

Jeremy

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 3:34 PM

3 replies

Jul 3, 2013 12:53 PM in response to bwhit22

(Over time, Apple has changed the built-in camera's name on newer Macs from "iSight" to "FaceTime" and then to "FaceTime HD." Regardless of the name of your Mac's built-in camera, the same troubleshooting and comments apply.)

bwhit22 wrote: ...anything else that might help?

Disconnect all USB devices, restart MacBook, and test again in bright light with only one app running at a time.

iSight's video "stutters" in low light when I turn it on

Use good lighting for the best iSight picture

FaceTime Camera: "Your camera is in use by another application" message

iChat AV: Intermittent video or audio issues with a wireless network

If your built-in camera's problem remains ONLY with connected camera apps, you may have bandwidth problems with your modem, router, wireless access point, or internet service.

If the jerkiness remains even with non-connected apps like Photo Bootth, your MacBook may have low performace issues. Check for possibility of one or more conditions described in OS X Lion: If your Mac runs slowly

If all else fails, backup your MacBook and contact Apple or your Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.4

Why is my built-in camera choppy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.