Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I changed my appleID and primary email and now I can not access iCloud. ICloud shows my old appleID but I can't change it. How do I get iCloud to work with my updated ID?

I Changed my ISP and therefore changed my email address, which caused me to change my appleID. I had no problems making the changes to my appleID but now I am having problems with iCloud. My old ID is still showing as my iCloud ID and I can not see where or how to change this. I keep getting an annoying pop up box to enter the password for my OLD appleID as well as error messages that I can't back up to iCloud.

CAn someone please tell me how I can fix this so my iCloud works.

THank you!!!!!

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.3, Changing appleID and can't aciCloud

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 3:56 PM

190 replies

Aug 7, 2017 3:32 PM in response to kpotts52

OK, so the first thing you don't ever want to do is to put your email address in a public thread out there for everyone to see. I'll ask the Hosts to edit them.

The second thing you need to do is to change your email address on your Apple ID from the old address to the new one. You will need to know your Apple ID password to do this. You will have to verify your new address, but that is via an email sent to that new address. So, your old address should not come into play here except for the fact that it is your current Apple ID.

Follow the instructions in this support article, making sure that you sign the old ID out of all accounts and services as directed in the first link in the article - especially iCloud!!!

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Best of luck,

GB

Feb 11, 2017 4:20 AM in response to kfenchak

Hit the same issue, so had a quick look as to see how many places OS X stored the old email address, via command line e.g.

<CMD> + Space

type:

terminal<Enter>

then type:

defaults read | egrep "AppleID|AccountID|Login|Address" | grep "my@old.email.com"

There were several instances, so had a nose the ~/Library/Preferences/ files, and found the "AccountID:" in ~/Library/Preferences/MobileMeAccounts.plist was key.

As i had a copy of Xcode installed (free from the App Store) I just:

• made a copy of the file in Finder, copied to Desktop.
  • Double clicked the original file it in Finder,
  • Tweaked the email address,
  • Saved the file.
  • Then logged out OS X, and back in.

iCloud now had the correct email address.

Without Xcode installed, you can achieve the same from the command line via a number of utils / methods, but:

# Make a copy of the file, just in case.

cp ~/Library/Preferences/MobileMeAccounts.plist ~/Desktop/MobileMeAccounts.plist

# Convert to a human readable / editable version

plutil -convert json -r -o ~/Desktop/MobileMeAccounts.txt ~/Desktop/MobileMeAccounts.plist

# edit the email address with your favourite text editor, and save.

# e.g.

# TextWrangler

# or even:

# vi ~/Desktop/MobileMeAccounts.txt

# Apply your change to the system file

plutil -convert binary1 -o ~/Library/Preferences/MobileMeAccounts.plist ~/Desktop/MobileMeAccounts.txt

# Check the change is "OK"

plutil -lint ~/Library/Preferences/MobileMeAccounts.plist

Jan 3, 2017 1:20 AM in response to kfenchak

SOLVED!

I had this very same problem: changed my apple id email due to the fact that the old student account was disabled, but had that old email still connected to itunes and icloud on my phone.

Here's what you do:

Once you have the password that works for your apple id with the new email (which wont work for your icloud and itunes/app store), go to settings - icloud - and SWITCH OFF "find my iphone". Here, it will prompt you for your password. Type in the password here that works for your apple account, and it will disable find my iphone. From here, you can log off your account (on the bottom of that same page in settings). Re-log into your account using your new email and password - and voilla!

For itunes/icloud - go to settings - itunes and app store - and click on the old email. From here you can log off account, and re log in using new email.

Shout out to the apple support guy who helped me. I tried the other solution here but I was not able to create a new account with the old email eithout verifying it.

Feb 7, 2017 1:20 PM in response to kfenchak

Still happening in 2017. I changed my email address, then the iPhone automatically asked for the password. When I entered it, it froze.

What I did, that fixed it: I turned the phone off; I logged out of Apple on my PC and logged in with new ID; turned on the phone and when it asked for the password I entered it and this time it worked fine.

I hope that helps someone.

Aug 7, 2017 3:35 PM in response to kfenchak

I retired from my job so therefore I don't have that email address any longer. ( karen@***)

It is a corporate email address so I'm unable to get back in it. There is NO retrieval of any emails or codes. SO, dear iCloud, please tell me what can I do to get back on my iCloud account. If it's not possible, I will have to delete the account. I don't wish to have my credit card information just hanging around on your pages.

Respectfully,

Karen P.

New Email: kpotts52@***

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Aug 8, 2017 2:56 AM in response to kfenchak

Hi there,

The pop-up is probably because of the itunes store details. Go to:

Settings > itunes and app store

Click apple ID

Click sign out

Sign back in with current email address and password

If your old apple ID is showing on your device in icloud go to:

iCloud > sign out

(you will be prompted for a password, it might show old email address)

Enter your apple ID password

this should accept even though account name is now different

Sign back in with new email address.

Also check facetime and imessage and sign out and back in if it is showing the old email address.

Jul 2, 2013 3:58 PM in response to kfenchak

Firstly, you need to change your details with Apple, Start here, change your country if necessary and go to manage your account.

In order to change your Apple ID or password for your iCloud account on your iOS device, you need to delete the account from your iOS device first, then add it back using your updated details. (Settings > iCloud, scroll down and hit "Delete Account")

Providing you are simply updating your existing details and not changing to another account, when you delete your account, all the data that is synced with iCloud will also be deleted from the device (but not from iCloud), but will be synced back to your device when you login again.

In order to change your Apple ID or password for your iCloud account on your computer, you need to sign out of the account from your computer first, then sign back in using your updated details. (System Preferences > iCloud, click the sign out button)

In order to change your Apple ID or password for your iTunes account on your iOS device, you need to sign out from your iOS device first, then sign back in using your updated details. (Settings > iTunes & App store, scroll down and tap your ID)

If you are using iMessages or FaceTime, you will also need to log out and into your ID there too.

Jul 3, 2013 3:20 AM in response to kfenchak

You need to be careful with photostream photos.

The photos in photostream on your device may not be the same as those in the cloud. The cloud only keeps photos for 30 days whereas photostream on your device will keep them until they are removed by the 1,000 photo rule.

If you have any doubt about whether there are photos in photostream on your device that aren't in the cloud, you should copy them to your camera roll before disabling photostream on your device.

Jul 31, 2013 9:07 PM in response to Trev729

Have you tried both the old and new password?

Have you signed out of iTunes & App Stores and signed back in with your new Apple ID and password?

Also, just to make sure - check to see if you have Restrictions enabled - Settings>General>Restrictions. If you do, then disable them.

Let me know if any of these help you to get past this. I've not ever encountered this, and I have (in testing) deleted my iCloud account multiple times, with my Find My iPhone turned on....so, this is something I'm not familiar with....

What IOS are you running?

Let me know! Sorry I don't know right off the top!

Cheers,

GB

I changed my appleID and primary email and now I can not access iCloud. ICloud shows my old appleID but I can't change it. How do I get iCloud to work with my updated ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.