Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio won't import with video in iMovie 11

My iMovie 11 (9.0.4) is all of the sudden malfunctioning - it's not importing the audio with the video. I've even tried importing clips that just a few days ago imported perfectly with the audio... but now the audio isn't importing. So I know it's not a problem with the video file. And I know that I have the volume up in iMovie... the intro w/ music that I have in iMovie is playing the audio perfectly. The problem is with importing a video file (mp4). I've literally imported hundreds of video clips into iMovie, and have never had this problem. My Mac is 10.6.8. Any suggestions?

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 7:00 PM

10 replies

Feb 8, 2014 4:50 AM in response to sstanley

Hi,

I have the same problem if I import low-res MPG videos from my Sony Camcorder. However, HD videos work fine.

I think it is a small bug in iMovie since I can see the audio when I select view->Show Waveform and have a workaround by using Apple software only.

Currently following workaround works for me.

1. import the files as usual to iMovie to a new event.

2. find the files on disk by select a clip and the use File->Reveal in Finder (Quicktime plays them with Audio!!!)

3. open each file with Quicktime (select all + open)

4. For each movie in Quicktime do File->Export->iTunes

5. After import to iTunes is done, reveal files in iTunes.

6. to clean up, remove the imported clips without audio from iMovie

7. Import the clips from (5) to iMovie

8. remove the files from iTunes

It consumes time, but works for me. I found no reduction of quality.

Best regards

Ruppi

PS: I have iMovie 10.0.2 on Maverick 10.9.1

Message was edited by: dlruppi

Jan 7, 2015 12:14 PM in response to sstanley

I'm using imovie 9.0.9 with OSX 10.7.5

I also went through days of troubleshooting why some clips have sound and some don't. All quicktime files have sound when played from quicktime. But no sound when imported into imovie.

None of the Apple or User suggestions worked. But I finally found a solution. I'm working on a project with over 100 clips. Everything was fine until I tried to import around 20 clips at the same time. Some had sound some didn't. Also, when done with each section, I exported the movies and deleted the thumbnails from the imovie clips window to clean up and organize the session. When re importing clips which previously had sound, the sound was gone but the image would play.

What I found was that any file which had been deleted from the clips window, was now in the Rejected Clips window. Re importing the file would only show image but no sound. Once I Move Rejected Clips to Trash, emptied the finder trash, and re imported the files, all files played with sound.

Back up original files on hard drive

In imovie

Select View Rejected Clips

Select Move Rejected Clips to Trash

Empty Trash in Finder

Re Import Files

Audio won't import with video in iMovie 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.