Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reformat and Reinstall Snow Leopard (Without loosing applications)

I am selling my iMac so I want to securely erase everything in it and reinstall Snow Leopard (Got the disk). I want to know if there is a way to keep applications such as Photoshop, Office, etc. (Lost the disks...). I'd appreciate a step by step guide (and explanations would be a kind bonus 🙂).

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 7:41 PM

Without the discs what you want to do is illegal. You're right in wanting to reformat and reinstall the original OS and applications but passing on the third party applications is a no no.

4 replies

Jul 3, 2013 3:51 PM in response to javaldesc

javaldesc wrote:

I am selling my iMac so I want to securely erase everything in it and reinstall Snow Leopard (Got the disk). I want to know if there is a way to keep applications such as Photoshop, Office, etc. (Lost the disks...). I'd appreciate a step by step guide (and explanations would be a kind bonus 🙂).

Thanks!

I think the previous responders misunderstood your request. Please confirm my understanding:

•1 You want to wipe your iMac

•2 You want to sell the wiped iMac with Snow Leopard installed

•3 You want to keep your previously purchased applications and install them on another Mac that you own.

If I am correct, here is my pragmatic (not legal) advice:

•1 No problem here: use Disk Utility with the iMac in Target Mode or booted from your Snow Leopard disc.

•2 You must restore your iMac to the original flavor of Mac OS X that came with it, such as Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard. That having been said, you can sell it upgraded to Snow Leopard, if you purchase a new, fresh Snow Leopard Install DVD from the Apple Store for $20, charge the purchaser an additional $20 for your efforts to upgrade the iMac and include the new, fresh Snow Leoprd Install DVD with the iMac for the new purchaser.

•3 I believe you can do what you suggest here, as follows:

javaldesc wrote:

Isn't it possible to do a backup copy with Time Machine and just restore the applications?

If you have proof that you were the original purchaser of these applications and additionally you truely lost the installation discs (and for example you did NOT sell them used to another user), you are entitled to use your backup to reinstall Office and Photoshop on your new Mac. This general rule may fail for certain applications that were bundled with your original iMac, such as those from iLife, etc.

Reformat and Reinstall Snow Leopard (Without loosing applications)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.