Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

back to my mac works sometimes

My problem is not unlike many posts regarding Back to My Mac. It works sometime. Two iMac with current OS. One at work, one at home. Home uses an Airport Extreme, the work set-up uses NetGear. So running a network at both locations.

Everything will work fine for days, then it fails. And it always fails to allow connection from Home to Work. Might work in the AM but then not work in the PM. No obvious reason. But it never fails from Work to Home.

And I can tell when it will not work; when I attempt to connect I always get a dialoge box saying "Connection to "BillyBob's iMac". This will come on and stay on. When it is going to be succesful, the dialoge box will show, then go away then come back again until a succesful connection.

Is this observation of the above dialoge box story of any value to understanding why connection only works sometime?

Both work and home have the same local ISP

T

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 6:56 PM

2 replies

Jul 5, 2013 7:14 AM in response to Tim Horchler1

Hello Tim,

Thanks for the question.

The following article outlines some basic troubleshooting steps for Back to my Mac:

OS X: Using and troubleshooting Back to My Mac with your iCloud account

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4907

If you still are unable to use Back to My Mac reliably

Contact iCloud Support. Be sure to provide the following information:

1. A detailed description of your network setup for each computer, including router types or models and modem brands.

2. The details or screenshots of any diagnostic messages provided in the Back to My Mac System Preferences pane. (For assistance with screenshots, see this article for OS X Lion or this article for OS X Mountain Lion.)

3. The results of the traceroute performed on each computer when checking for a multiple NAT setup. (For assistance with capturing the traceroute, see this article for OS X Lion or this article for OS X Mountain Lion.)

4. The Computer Name and Local Hostname of each of your computers.

5. Any other troubleshooting steps you have performed.

Thanks,

Matt M.

back to my mac works sometimes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.